Centerpiece Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Man of fish

I'm Interested in.... ----|> that
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently looking for a centerpiece fish/pair for my 29 gallon community tank! The tank dimensions are roughly 32"x 14"x 18" LxWxH. My current stock is:

About 18 espeis rasboras
2 female platys
1 male, 3 female cherry barbs
1 bn plec
1 clown plec

I've been looking at dwarf cichlids. I've had Bolivian rams and I never really took a liking towards them. I like the German blue rams though and may get them and been looking at apistos but they aren't very common around here. I've also been looking at kribs, fire mouths, and a few other nice cichlids but those are the main ones. I'd love a fish or a pair of fish that don't get larger than about 4-5" and a pair is definately preferable but not needed. Please suggest me some if you could :)

I would think that you're pretty well stocked already tbh? What is your filtration like? Plecs are pretty messy as you know, so your bioload will already be pretty high, IMO.

I have an external canister filter capable of handling up to a 100 gallon tank. Obviously I have the flow turned down, so not a problem. And no not really heavily stocked ATM the espeis are quite small fish and tbh my plecs aren't messy they're still small though. I've had them almost a year now I guess.

Man of fish said:
And no not really heavily stocked ATM
Well it's generally accepted that you should have 1 inch of fish per gallon, so you can have 29 inches of fish. Assuming your raboras, platys and barbs are all about 1 inch that's 24 inches and clowns and BNs get to about 4-5 inches I'd say you we're pretty much there of not over stocked I'm afraid.

Lunar Jetman said:
And no not really heavily stocked ATM
Well it's generally accepted that you should have 1 inch of fish per gallon, so you can have 29 inches of fish. Assuming your raboras, platys and barbs are all about 1 inch that's 24 inches and clowns and BNs get to about 4-5 inches I'd say you we're pretty much there of not over stocked I'm afraid.
This is one of the main reasons I stopped posting on this forum regularly. That "rule" is the most BS ever. It means nothing. Are you gonna put 10 kuhli loaches in a 55 gallon and say its fully stocked? No of course not! There's so many other factors that need to be put into the equation!!

I'm in love with my two Apistogrammas, where abouts so you live - I'm sure someone on here could help you find some

Man of Fish - please ignore the above comments sorry guys but this forum is so so so much better than saying inch per gallon rules.....

With your smaller fish in there I would stick to dwarfs - a nice group of checkerboards would look pretty cool :) If you manage to get a bull male he will really show off as well which is always nice! Slim, slender fish as well. I think they would compliment your other fish.

Have you looked at shops like Rare Aquatics or Pier Aquatics they get tons of rare Apistos in and they post :) Hongsloi would look good in there with all the rest of the red and purple in your tank :) - I love love love A. Panduro though the males are incredible and they have the best looking females of any apistos.

After this though I would say your pretty much stocked - maybe 2 more cherry barbs ;)

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back