Catfish spawned... :|

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

AllusiveLife

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is what I did

Had a tank set up for over a 2 months, I made sure I had air system going through the 15 gallon tank. I had a bubbler for the underground filter, and I had a long stick bubbler for under the Desert rocks that I had put in there. I had a temperature thing and kept on switching the temp back and forth then the night I would take the heater out. But I would make sure I feed the Corrie cats 2 times a day fresh live Canadian Crawler worms. 3 in half days later they laid about 125 eggs. This is what I did with the eggs tell me if I need to be corrected...

Got a jar prepared and a bubbler, placed the water into the jar and used a knife to slide the eggs off "flat knife" then placed them into the jar and then put the bubbler in. I left some eggs in the tank to see the outcome. I don't have that air stone you connect to the tube. Tell me what I've done wrong and what I've done correct. Don't worry if more than one gave me the answer, tell me what you did that made your corrie cats successfuly hatch...

As long as the eggs were never exposed to air they will be ok though i would normally leave the eggs where they are and remove the parents.
Keep a eye on the the eggs and remove any that start to go white (fungused) before they can infect the others.
Good luck with it all but be prepared for the worst, the first spawn or two often dont make it for some reason.

Once they have hatched you will see a small egg sack on each larvae, this will nourish them for the first day or so but once the egg sack disapeers you will need to feed them on tiny foods like freshly hatched brine shrimp (which you will have to hatch your self) and liquid fry food from the lfs, if you have a sponge filter in the tank they will eat rotifers and other tiny organisms that live on the sponges surface.

When transfering eggs from tank to tank it is best to collect them in a jar under water so that they are not exposed to air, if the transfer was only a second or two you may be ok as they eggs would have still had some moisture on them.

could I feed them hard boiled egg stuff? What if I were to really cut up some worm in tiny TINY (oposite of the big tiny lol) little shreads, would they be able to eat that? And when do they hatch?

now since I placed them into a Jar with water and a bubbler how do I keep them safe? When do I change the water when do I put them back inside of the tank? If it was dark, would bacteria still grow on the eggs?

When they hatch all depends on the temperature of the water, could be a couple of days could be a week.
To be honest a jar isnt really the best place for the eggs, really they need to be in a small tank with a filter, when they hatch they will definatley need to go into a tank of there own.
As for food ive never tried eggyolk, heard of lots of people using it for angelfish fry but not corys, as for chopping things up if you think you can chop that small then go for it, but i think your going to be shocked when you see just how TINY the fry will be when they hatch.

ty I appreciate this alot, I just placed the jar sitting in the tank cause I noticed temperature differences, I'm going to try to divide where the eggs are from where the parents are. If I keep doing this even in the summer or every week of the month would they continue the process of spawning?I appreciate this alot..

Which species of corydoras are they? Peppered and bronze corys will breed all year with out much prompting but other species can be trickier from what ive heard.

what kind of cories? what do you plan to do with the babies that hatch and survive? i know someone in south phx who might be interested in taking some off your hands when they get bigger....... B)

Bronze corries I think, they're sorta green with a white belly...

Manya molly, B) sure, just depending on how many survive if they do survive, lol... but yes, if they're interested I can freely give :D I will let you know, believe me I'm gonna try and try to constant breed these things, I'm going to set up another tank pretty soon, I also need to buy a header for my 5 gallon tank. But yes I'll pm you with information, daily bases stuff.. lol :D

awesome!!!! when i get my dwarf gouramis tank cycled and ready, he'll need a couple of cories to keep him compnay and clean up after him. they'd be perfect. pm me about when you get a chance and let me know how they're coming along. :)

Ok good, cause I'm gonna need time for these things, people tell me the first couple of times the eggs don't make it, but we'll see if they make it, but yes most definately, what you could do is take the corries first and then add your groumie, lol I don't know how fast these things grow though. If someone could inform me on there speed of growth that would be greatly appreciated...

Get them on the right diet and they grow FAST, should be around 1/2 a inch within 6 to 8 weeks.

If you have any meth blue add that to the jar. Usual dose is 1 drop per gallon. Leave the white dead eggs in there until the fry hatch. Youll usually kill more eggs trying to get at the dead ones. As soon as they become free swimming move them to a 10g tank with fresh clean water. Dont pour the jar into the tank, instead fully submerge the jar and gently coax them out. All this is from my experience with angels not cories. It couldnt be that much of a difference could there? If Im totally wrong someone please correct me.

Most reactions

Back