cat & pleco in a bucket....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

steppy104

Grarr
Reaction score
someone just gave me a 40 gallon tank, with a catfish, a pleco, and some other fish...they're all in a bucket right now, till my dad gives the tank a COMPLETE make-over. i've got a small bubbler in there right now....and i was wondering how long they will be ok in there. :dunno:

Hi steppy104 :)

Does your dad realize what's involved in giving the tank such a make-over? I'm especially concerned about your losing all the beneficial bacteria. It's going to take some time to restart them and your fish might not survive the process.

IMHO, he would be better off by setting the tank up and getting it going right away if the bacteria in the gravel and/or filter media have not dried out or been left without oxygen for too long.

Please ask him to waste no time getting it going again. He can always give it a good cleaning while it has fish in it. It might be a little harder, but it can be done and might well save the life of the fish you have in the bucket now.

if you still have the gravel and its not been cleaned - DONT.

same goes for any wood and rocks.

clean the glass as quickly as possible and set it back up using as much of the old water, gravel, ornaments and filter as possible.

do you have another tank thats up and running that could house them for a while - that would take the heat off for a while.

right now, all the old things are completely cleaned, the glass is completely cleaned, the old rocks are thrown out, and now we've got bags of new rocks that arent yet set up. NOTHING was left uncleaned. and my parents are busy today. (they are very insistant on getting the yard done today since it's garbage day). when we do set the tank back up (which i will TRY to start today) how should we go about it? we haven't got dechlorinator yet...and we haven't even got the area that we are putting the tank in ready yet...so, water, then ornaments, then filter and heater? am i missing ne thing?

i have a 29 gallon, but it's already taken by non-water pets....

With those fish, you'll have a hard time cycling the tank without losing any of them. You'll have to either give them away to make sure they survive or you should take all possile measures in order to keep the amonia and nitrites from killing the fish.

why would i have trouble cycling the tank? once the tank is set up, i don't see why there should be any problems....

Once you put the fish back in the tank, it will recycle because you've lost all beneficial bacteria. There will be an ammonia spike, so water changes will help reduce the effects of ammonia on your fish. Eventually the tank will be cycled again, but you may not have any fish left at that time :no:

Perhaps you can take the fish to your lfs until the tank cycles? Many stores do this for a low fee (which pays for food and caring for the fish). Then you can try fishless cycling, which takes less time, money, and effort. If you do fishless cycling, by the time the tank has cycled you will be able to fully stock it, as opposed to cyling with fish when you have to gradually add fish so that there will not be a huge ammonia spike.

HTH :thumbs:

Better still,sell your fish,and the tank and give up fishkeeping for now.Learn more about it then perhaps start up again. You are dealing with lives here!!

Clare said:
Better still,sell your fish,and the tank and give up fishkeeping for now.Learn more about it then perhaps start up again. You are dealing with lives here!!
Well said, Clare!

i dont entierly agree with that. the person has bettas obviously because there are pics of them. if u still have the bettas keep the other fish with them. they are nice with cat fish. well at least mine is. sometimes ppl. that had fish before forget about those setting up stuff.

my betta's are in tanks way too small for this catfish.

well...ne way, my dad got impatient, so we set up the whole thing today, and he told me to put them in....so far so good.

still goin good....i'll check back in tomorrow to tell ya how they're doin. it seems like the catfish loves the setup in the corner. he hides right it with the fake plants n stuff. the gourami is randomly swimming around, and the pleco is...well, sucking....do they do ne thing else?? lol. -_-

Most reactions

Back