Cardinals Or Neons?

Lol. That material has existed for many, many years, and keeps you safe on your foreign holiday flights. But it's way expensive for your average fish-keeping hobbyist!!!!! Fish-keeping and aerospace composites may be too far apart, but I hope I can bring something to this forum, even if its only my logical approach and appreciation of the laws of science, not to mention my addiction to this new hobby. I'm a diverse unusual character; I play heavy metal guitar for a working band too
yes.gif

Amazing how easy it is to get from Cardinals to Composites!!!!!

I knew the issue was affordability!

Cardinals to composites.... Its all connected. Heck, without the aerospace developments, it wouldn't be possible for us to get many of the fish we have in the hobby today sent to us where ever we want, whenever we want, and in 24 hours. Its a global industry.

Well after checking out cardinal tetra stock at one of my better LFS, I ended up purchasing a shoal of neons! And the rather ham-fisted assistant gave me more than I asked for, got 14. They were tank-reared, and kept in similar pH and temperature to my tank, never-the-less I acclimatised very slowly, and all is well so far. I'll keep a very close eye for any ammonia spike, although they're very small, about half inch long. Wish me luck!

Things should be fine... and congrats on the new addition. HOw long has the tank been up and running? Neons generally fair better in tanks that are at least 6 months old for some reason that's still unknown. ;-)

The tank's been up and running only since September, when it was fishlessly cycled. I have read about the mature tank preference, and raised the appropriate questions on this forum, so decided to get tank reared neons (or cardinals) rather than imported. I'm very diligent with my water tested and maintenance, so felt confident to take on the challenge. I'll be very disappointed if I lose even one, so fingers crossed, and I'll keep this thread updated with their progress!

You are close to the 6 month timeframe, and probably past it if you count the cycling time, so it should be good. ;-)

Well I mustn't kid myself; the tank was set up at the end of September, and completed its cycle at the end of October, when the first fish were added, so a good way short of the six month timeframe! But I've kept a happy community so far, including shrimp which I understand are sensitive to unstable environments. Maybe my optimism is a novice error, but I'll keep you all updated whatever happens!

You are correct about the shrimp. I'm pulling for you!

coolx.gif

Happy New Year!
drunk.gif

Update on neon tetra shoal; 10 of the 14 shoal together nicely and seem happy with their environment and other tank mates, gladly mucking in at feeding time and swimming around the whole tank with the bigger fish. At least another 2 spend most of the time hiding in very difficult to find places. Whether those hiding are 2, 3 or 4, or if they're moving around between rocks and I'm double-counting a couple, remains to be seen. I certainly haven't found any evidence of casualties. So I'm confident that the group of 10 will do well, unsure about the very timid lone stragglers. Hopefully they'll soon have the confidence to swim with the shoal.

Most reactions

Back