Cardinal Tetra Deaths

Lord Fishheart

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
279
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ferryhill,County Durham
I realised on Sunday night that my Cardinal Tetras may have a case of whitespot, therefore I used the necessary treatment, it is now day 3 and have just woken up to be confronted by 4 dead cardinals. The other two in my tank seem to have had their tails bitten off and are losing their colour. Also I noticed the others that died had their tails bitten off.

Do I have an unknown monster in my tank, or is it just bad lucK? Any advice appreciated
 
Actually bitten off? They could have developed finrot, or the fins may have been chewed off after they died, since many fish will pick at a dead tankmate, I've had them almost entirely eaten before I found them, and I've had fish disappear entirely this way.

How are your water stats through the treatment? Many meds can cause a hit to your water quality. I've never had it with ich meds, but some do have antibacterials to suppress secondary infections, so I suppose it's possible.
 
Hey

Whenever you have an illness within your tank you should try and quarantine them so that any medication is in a second tank and you should change this water of this second tank daily and very slowly to reduce any further stress.

Cardinals are buggars when they die, they have ana ct of just disappearing, when i had about 12 and my water wasnt JUUUUUUUST right for them, unless they managed to float to the top they were eaten by my rams before you could say fin rot.

Sam
 
Hey

Whenever you have an illness within your tank you should try and quarantine them so that any medication is in a second tank and you should change this water of this second tank daily and very slowly to reduce any further stress.

Cardinals are buggars when they die, they have ana ct of just disappearing, when i had about 12 and my water wasnt JUUUUUUUST right for them, unless they managed to float to the top they were eaten by my rams before you could say fin rot.

Sam

when you treat ich there's no point moving to a second tank, the parasite 'falls off' and seeds itself in the gravel so you need to medicate the whole tank. therefore no point in causing the fish undue stress by moving them to another tank.

yes what are the water stats?

cardinals are pretty weak nowadays and ich meds are no fun..... :/
 

Most reactions

Back
Top