Can't Leave For 2 Days!

bealsey41

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 2, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Suffolk U.K
Hello everyone,
I have just had the worst return home from a small break ever, got in the house to a really bad smell, checked the tank and the filter had clogged up and stopped working. Unfortunately I had about 20 dead fish so had to spend the next couple of hours till 1 in the morning sorting out the water for the few survivors. I am so gutted some of the fish I have had for nearly 3 years :angry:

Survivors are 4 rainbow fish, 1 angel, 2 dwarf gouramis and 2 doradids!! Now got to think of some tank mates as soon as I have definately got the tank running properly again!

What do you guys think I should stock, I like different, interesting fish, oddballs etc.

Cheers.
 
How big is the tank? Must be small for 2 days to take such a massive hit.

Its 350 litrs / 92 Gallon tank, don't know why it had such an impact just think it happened at a really unlucky time when I was not there to see it!!! My filter is rated for 650 ltrs too so should not have a problem!
 
Thats really weird, Mine have gone off for 24 hours before with not so much as a change in stats. Its very strange
 
The filter was under powered for the tank you want at least 3 times turn over from the filtration so a 1000lph filter is required prefferably an external canister.
 
The filter was under powered for the tank you want at least 3 times turn over from the filtration so a 1000lph filter is required prefferably an external canister.

Sorry the filter is not 650 lph its rated for a 650 litre tank! (Its an eheim external 2075) So should be plenty big enough as rated as 1250 lph.
 
That must be horrible! was the tank overstocked? with a normal bioload i cant see <2days making that huge of an effect?


Sam.
 
That must be horrible! was the tank overstocked? with a normal bioload i cant see <2days making that huge of an effect?


Sam.

Yeah I am so gutted had a load of fish from babies that were now a nice size!! Luckily I had given away a few fish a few weeks ago otherwise it would have been worst! I suppose it was nearly 3 days and it didn't help with the really hot weather. Apart from that don't really know why it went so wrong, never had any problems with that tank! Just going to keep a close eye on it now and see what happens!!
 
^Just a hint, its always good to have a fail safe, 2 smaller filter/heaters for example, so if one fails, the damage is limited :)

Sam.
 
^Just a hint, its always good to have a fail safe, 2 smaller filter/heaters for example, so if one fails, the damage is limited :)

Sam.

I have about 3 filters and 2 heaters in the garage from other tanks / spares so usually prepared, never happens while you are at home though!!!!
 
Did you have one of those automatic feeders on your tank, that would explain the pollution problem and the fish dying ?
 
Did you have one of those automatic feeders on your tank, that would explain the pollution problem and the fish dying ?

No thought they were all fat enough to go without for a couple of days which should have made it better. Just think the filter got too clogged up at the wrong time! Everything was fine when i left!! When I go to thailand I am going to have a fish sitter in so nothing should go wrong this time!!!!! :blink:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top