Can't Keep My Lampeyes Alive

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Reaction score
My water stats are fine, but my water is hard
Do you think they don't like that?
I've been through 26 so far this year!

Aplochielichthys normani is probably the most commonly available, so I presume you have or had this species
First up is cleanliness, make sure their aquarium is clean. and feed BBS and Microworm.
Heavily planted and dimly lit, use surface plants to achieve this.
They are usually not demanding on water parameters, but I would acclimatise them slowly.
A fast moving stream of water suits them down to a tee.
Temp - 22-26'C
pH - 6.5-7
GH - 3-6

Regards
C

Aplochielichthys normani is probably the most commonly available, so I presume you have or had this species
First up is cleanliness, make sure their aquarium is clean. and feed BBS and Microworm.
Heavily planted and dimly lit, use surface plants to achieve this.
They are usually not demanding on water parameters, but I would acclimatise them slowly.
A fast moving stream of water suits them down to a tee.
Temp - 22-26'C
pH - 6.5-7
GH - 3-6

Regards
C

Oh dear, my water is too hard
The gh is 10 and the ph is 7.6-7.8

Dunno MM my water is soft acidic, I have the tank heavily planted and with floating plants and feed them well (BBS and microworm is not needed IMO as they eat pretty much anything) and mine dont thrive. They have gone from about 12 down to about 6 and seem to just drop dead suddenly with no real symptoms although one seems to have a broken back or something but its hung on for weeks. The tank also houses a lot of other picky param fish/shrimp and they are do fine.

Dunno MM my water is soft acidic, I have the tank heavily planted and with floating plants and feed them well (BBS and microworm is not needed IMO as they eat pretty much anything) and mine dont thrive. They have gone from about 12 down to about 6 and seem to just drop dead suddenly with no real symptoms although one seems to have a broken back or something but its hung on for weeks. The tank also houses a lot of other picky param fish/shrimp and they are do fine.

Mine is heavily planted too and you're right, one day they are fine the next they are dead
The first batch of 10 was down to 4 and I added a further dozen [oops can't add up lol that's 22 I've gone through] and I now have 1 left today
I won't be getting anymore
Back to a shoal of harlequins for me!!

I bought 6 back when I had a 96l mature tank. Within a week they'd all gone. Tryed again later, and the same result. I gave up after that, as they clearly weren't liking the tank/care. They are on a very short list of fish I've given up on, so don't feel too bad about it MM, they do seem trickyer than most fish to master... I'm in a soft water area aswell...

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back