Can't Decide Between 2 Tanks!

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
262
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
I had my heart set on a 75gal or 90gal freshwater, for my Severum and Sailfin Pleco (who are both very small now) but I lost my job and don't have money for a $700+ tank. There is just no possible way I can afford it. BUT, I saw a 29gal Marine pre-setup tank for $250, which I can afford. But I don't want my 2 fish to outgrow the tank, but I like that saltwater tank too! I have a small room so the 29gal saltwater would look more fitting than a 75/90gal freshwater. But my Severum and Pleco (one 2 inches, the other 3 inches) will need more room in a few months. I asked my parents if we could have a big tank in the living room (if I was able to afford it) and they said no. Which tank should I buy? And I really don't want to bring back my fish, especially the Severum which I rescued from a nasty pet store and it was ridden with Ich...
 
tbh how is a 29G marine setup going to help a Severum or a pleco ?

I'm sure you can easily pick up a decent sized second hand tank for $250, you just have to look around
 
tbh how is a 29G marine setup going to help a Severum or a pleco ?

I'm sure you can easily pick up a decent sized second hand tank for $250, you just have to look around


I just wanted to get a new tank, and while I really want the 75-90gal tank, I happened to see a cheaper marine tank that was very tempting. (and while I love freshwater fish, I would try saltwater...) But my fish may outgrow my tank in a few months if I don't upgrade, so that is why I am having a problem.

I DID see an affordable 75gallon tank on ebay that was close enough for me to pick up, but apparently it had bad calcium build up so my dad said no...
 
well you either have two choices:
1) buy the marine and re-home the current fish you have
2) dont buy the marine, get the biggest tank you can afford and stick the current fish in there

thanks
Adam

ps. i would choose #2
 
I know I would never be able to part with my Severum.

Be patient and keep looking. Try Craigslist to find used tanks. Check in the general for sale as well as the pets section.
 
Okay I looked at craigslist and found a tank, 75gallon, $150 with everything (stand included) except for filter. It was a bit far away but my dad said no because you don't know the tank's condition...

Maybe I'll wait until Petco or Petsmart drops their prices. I can probably afford a 55, but after probably... 1 year, the 2 fish will outgrow it....

I have $550
 
its guna be a long time before you guna need to rehome them....

but you can easily find a tank that big second hand and cheap... if you lok hard enough

good luck
 
you tried ebay?

i think if you scout around to your LFS and say can u take these of me for some store credit or for free they might be able too :good:

but saltwater will take alot of research and you will need RO saltwater aswell
 
Just keep looking. I found this 60 gallon on Craigslist a few weeks ago for only $250 and it is like new

601.jpg
 
See if there is a local aquarium club and see if they have any tanks they might be willing to sell you. If your dad will let you go to a meeting, that is.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top