Canister Pumps

Alien_spawn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Being fed up with having so many problems with my Fluval 304 in the last month, I'm considering investing in a new canister pump. Eheim's seem to be highly rated but i've never had one- are they more reliable than the Fluval range?

What do you guys recommend as a direct replacement?

If you are looking to save money then look at the Eheim Classic series. People seem to think of the Pro as the only choice, but the Classic is just as reliable, effective, and quiet as the Pro models, without the features. In some ways it's even better- without media baskets there is absolutely no water bypass - every drop gets filtered. It's a bit f a pain to clean when it needs a full service, but that isn't very often.

I have Eheim Classics and Fluvals. I haven't actually had any reliability issues with the Fluvals, but I can tell you that the Eheims are much more effective - I won't buy another Fluval.

I think the Eheim classics are great - all I use.

Thanks for all the advice, i think i will buy an Eheim in the new year. After christmas when my money has recovered :lol:

Another question I have what would be the best way to transfer the filter from the fluval, as i don't want the tank to suffer from "new tank syndrome" will the media in the fluval easily be transfered into the new Eheim pump or should I put some of the media into the tank to build up the cycle, for example the sponges while the fluval is still running?

What media do you use in the fluval??? if its floss then it'll transfer across without a problem, if its sponges as well you'll struggle as they'll be different sizes and unless you can cut them down you'll struggle (although you can still put them in the eheim for the bacteria.) The other way is run the eheim alongside the fluval for a few weeks.

I use sponges and the fluval bag range (carbon, biomax that kind of stuff)

The running of the two pumps at the same time is a good idea

Running the two pumps is exactly what I do. Once the new filter is established you can remove the first filter. The new filter will still have some catching up to do once you remove the first one, and that may cause cloudiness due to bacterial bloom, but it will not last long if it happens, and the fish will be fine.

Most reactions

Back