Canister filtering and media layers?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DAnCSF

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Good Morning,
I have a Cascade 1500 filter it came with my 100 g. I was wondering what media do others use and in what order? From top down the unit currently has: sponge, sponge, sponge w/charcoal pack., sponge w/charcoal pack. The tank is not planted, current occupants: Dempsey, Salvini, Pleco and T-Barb. My thinking is to use sponges in all layers, but add charcoal packs to the bottom 2 layers. Any thoughts?

Firstly, don't use the charcoal unless you are removing medication or toxic from your water.
For arranging the filter media, you can follow this video. You can also buy your other type of filter media such as Biohome.

The order of layers and is what i do is:
Mechanical media first to take the initial flow and remove big particles ( filter wool )
Then Bio media that holds the bio mass - it mustn’t become clogged ( bio balls )
Then if you use and as the previous post said be carefull, and it must be used after the bio media or it kills off what feeds the bacteria - things like zeolite and carbon.

I have an Eheim 600 external and have

1) Coarse Filter Wool
2) Sponge
3) Fine sponge
4) Bio Balls

What a great forum...thanks gents for the clarification about the layers and in what order....I guess the previous user was a bit off in his layering...but that's ok now to correct everything....

Ive found the forum full of knowledgeable people happy to help.

As always though make sure you double check stuff on the internet if your not sure. Just take it slow and ask lots of questions

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back