Canister Filter

sic0198

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Are they any good? Are they necessaey, are they better at what they do then say a $30 dollar walmart filter? Are they worth the extra $$$? Is it easy to maintain them? Is it expensive to buy the activated carbon etc.? Do the fish seem to act better when one is used? Does it make it easier to clean the aquarium?

Is this one a pretty good one? Eheim Professional II

Also is this one pretty good?Rena FilStar xP3
 
I would only use a canister or wet/dry system on my tanks. I'd the under gravel filter thing, the hang on the backs, all were awful. My water stats have always been right and I have always had clear water with them. However, as far as activated carbon, i never use it. There's been a lot of controversy as to whether it causes hole in the head disease in cichlids and it can become lethal to fish if not changed regularly. also, when you use a medicine, it can actually remove the medicine from your tank so you have to take it out. I use mechanical and biological filtration in my tanks. This system in my canister filter has always worked, even with my large waste producers. My aquarium is also very clean. Once I stuck mine on, I noticed a change within 2 hours. Are they worth it? Yes. they give you clear water, are excellent at cleanliness, the spray bars create a lot of oxygenation, and they last a long time. Canister filters also offer a wide range of choice as far as media goes. Like have mechanical and biological filtration in mine. I chose Eheim canister filters. I used Marineland once, and it sucked. The thing practically fell apart on me.
 
Ok, i'll try this again. I accidentally hit a short cut button for back and it erased everything I'd already written...so here goes!

I think it depends on what kind of fish and what size tank you're getting. I've had my 29 gallon for years and years. It only has a Whisper Power 30(hang on back). I've had had guppies, mollies, neon tetras, etc in there throughout the years and the filters always done it's job.

However, I just set up a 125 gallon malawi cichlid tank and put 2 eheim pro II 2028's on it. They seem to be doing a good job. The water quality was a little shaky at first, but that was due to the tank setup being new. Now it's settling nicely.
One of the Mods really like ehiems and said he'd have his house full of them if he could afford it. I got mine second hand for 1/2 price. The only thing I had to replace is a $12 0-ring in one of them! Not bad for 1/2 price! They can be expensive, but I feel is well worth it if you're going to have a large setup. If you have some time, maybe you could watch adds or check ebay and see what you can find!

About cleaning it. It's really simple to take apart and replace filter media...that being said...part of the reason I put 2 on my tank is so when I clean 1 I'm not wiping out most of the nitrifying bacteria. I haven't cleaned any of my canisters yet, but I've heard that can be a problem with only one filter on the tank.

Again, I think it depends on what size tank and what size fish you're getting. Good Luck!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top