Can You Starve Bacteria?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Noahs ark6

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello

I recently moved a cut of media from a heavily stocked 125 litre to a lightly stocked 20 litre. I was wondering if , with the bacteria used to munching through alot of ammonia to only very little, would it not have enough ammonia and die? :good:

thanks

Yep. Your bacteria will die back to the level that is needed for the amount of ammonia produced in your tank.

Yep. Your bacteria will die back to the level that is needed for the amount of ammonia produced in your tank.

My imagination conjures up an image of a meeting of starving bacteria wherein they have to decide who lives and who dies, :lol: , each one putting their case for survival. Every time a fish poops there is a rush for the supply wagons as they don't know when the next meal is coming.

Hm, I should sleep more! :crazy:

My imagination conjures up an image of a meeting of starving bacteria wherein they have to decide who lives and who dies, :lol: , each one putting their case for survival. Every time a fish poops there is a rush for the supply wagons as they don't know when the next meal is coming.

Hm, I should sleep more! :crazy:
I.....I just don't know what to say to this....but dang I can't stop laughing lol

It will take some time for the bacteria to die back. They have the ability to go dormant in the face of little or no food and oxygen. How long they can survive is a function of how well fed they are at the point of going dormant. believe it or not, live bacteria have been found in soil samples stored dry for over 100 years.

In a preliminary study, to establish if dried soils can provide a historical record of bacterial communities, samples from the Broadbalk soil archive dating back to 1868 were investigated and plots treated with either farmyard manure (FYM) or inorganic fertilizer (NPK) were compared. As anticipated, the processes of air-drying and milling greatly reduced bacterial viability whilst DNA yields declined less and may be preserved by desiccation. A higher proportion of culturable bacteria survived the archiving process in the FYM soil, possibly protected by the increased soil organic matter.
from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0038071707004683

Those little suckers are hard to kill off completely.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back