Can You Identify These Baby Snails?

The Other Lebowski

New Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello. Because I use sand for a substrate up to 5 cm deep, I've thrown in 3 malayan trumpet snails i got from LFS. Obviously I want them to spread and reprodcuce, but lately I've been coming across these guys on my glass and leaves.

They look nothing like trumpet snails, they look exactly like ramshorns.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5753/snails.jpg

The problem is I have no idea what trumpet snail babies actually look like. I would imagine they are not born with the cone, but instead it slowly develops overtime.

So what are these? Is there a chance I'm throwing away baby trumpet snails? Or are these in fact ramshorns which I have no interest in keeping (although I'm likely stuck with them already).
 
look like ramshorn snails to me, but they look like very young apple snils too but my guess their ramshorns. i have mts in a few of my tanks and from a very small age they are distinctive with cone shells.....
 
Trumpet snails look like this



mts-gravel.jpg



they tend to spend most of their time in the substrate, cleaning and aerating it for your plants, if you see them on plants they are eating the algae or rather the bacteria than grown on algae, either way they are a boon to the aquarium. Id squish the ramshorns because they will eat plants, they will also be in competition for food.
 
dont commit any crimes cos your fingerprints are crystal clear! :lol:
nice photo! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top