Can you feed your Betta fish Earthworms?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bettaguy08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I’ve mostly fed my betta small pellets for it’s whole life, I’ve heard some sources say that yes you can feed your betta earth worms and some say no because there too fatty or could carry parasites, has anyone tried feeding your betta earth worms or know if it is fine and I can feed my betta earth worms?

Worms (whether earthworms or bloodworms etc)
Are not a great thing for them as the sole or main diet. It’s okay In small amounts as treats but you are correct they are high in fat

And to add onto Juice's comment, if you use earthworms the place you get them from may use pesticide or any sort of poison for weeds either... This can be in the worms and possibly poison the fish...

Worms (whether earthworms or bloodworms etc)
Are not a great thing for them as the sole or main diet. It’s okay In small amounts as treats but you are correct they are high in fat
Is there any natural healthy food for bettas that you can feed daily that will meet there nutrition requirements?

Is there any natural healthy food for bettas that you can feed daily that will meet there nutrition requirements?
It's best to feed Bettas, or any other fish, a varied diet as some types of foods may lack certain nutritional values than others. In my opinion, there's no one food that can be fed on a daily basis that contains all the nutritional values.

It's best to feed Bettas, or any other fish, a varied diet as some types of foods may lack certain nutritional values than others. In my opinion, there's no one food that can be fed on a daily basis that contains all the nutritional values.
Agreed. They do best on a mixture of insects, other bugs and plants.

Bug Bites are my favorite food for my bettas if you want a single thing

Last edited:
We frequently assume feeding live foods (exclusively or sporadically) will provide all the nutritional value needed, but they will not unless you can use a variety of suitable live foods. For example, wingless fruit flies, newly hatched brine shrimp, insects collected outdoors provided you can be certain of their cleanliness and lack of any pesticides, fertilizers, etc. Worms are not good except as rare treats, and this means very small worms and well cleaned out worms (I read an article on how to clean out earthworms many years ago, feeding them something I can't remember now, but it seemed like a lot of bother for so little or no actual value). Live insects are more "natural" for most fish, then crustaceans.

We have high quality prepared (dried) foods today that do provide everything needed, with minimal fuss. Fluval Bug Bites has been mentioned, and for all omnivorous and carnivorous fish these frankly cannot be equalled for their health value. A quality flake food would be good for bettas, like New Life Spectrum basic flake. It is generally recommended that you feed a variety of good foods, at least two or maybe three. Flake and pellet foods that contain whole fish, not fish meal, and no cereal meal, are preferable.

I feed my fish frozen brine shrimp and bug bite pellets. They love them and they've always gobbled it right up.
Really colorful to!

Earthworems are more a food for conditioning breeders, and chopping them up is gross. You can clear trhem out by keeping them in shredded paper til they empty out their castings.

Bettas, like a lot of insectivore, bug eaters, like their roughage. A big will have wings and hard parts, which are useful for aiding Bettas to digest. If you use prepared foods, be sure the fibre content is on the higher end. When I buy flakes, it's the first thing I check.

But the odd chopped earthworm bit is a superb source of protein.

Most reactions

Back