Can You Buy Oto's In The Uk?

Athena

Fish Herder
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
1,620
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent, UK
Someone on another thread was telling me about Oto's and how good they are at keeping brown algae at bay in the tank as they eat it. So, I just rang my LFS and asked if they had any Oto's in stock - to be met with silence - then "What's an Oto? Been in the business 15 years and never heard of them!"

Well, I couldn't remember the full name of them off the top of my head so I said I'd write it down and go in on Saturday and maybe they can order a couple in for me.

But I'm puzzled as to why he didn't know what an Oto was. Are these not very common in the UK? Or do we call them something else over here? I just felt a bit daft, like I'd just asked for a fish from Mars :hyper:

Athena
 
ummmmmmmm yeah, see them all the time, they're pretty common.

full name is something like otocinuculus although probably not spelt like that
 
Yes, I've yet to go into a good fish shop without them. They're quite unnoticable, and look just like any other small suckermouth cat type fish - but they're great little fish.

In my experience, your local MA will definately have some.
 
athena, is this the shop in Mortimer street?

If it is I dont suppose you know off of the top of your head if they do dwarf puffers do you?
 
Thanks for the replies. Ok, so I guess the guy was just having a dizzy moment :lol: . He's not the person who usually works in there, either - she was off today. I've got a note of the name written down now, so will ask her when I go in next. Just didn't want to go in and make a fool of myself by asking for something that's not available over here.

Gaz - yes, that's the one! I'm going in on Saturday so I'll ask about the dwarf puffers and how much they cost.

They are really good though usually - if they don't have something in that you need they will order them in.

I've got a pair of German Blue Rams sitting in quarantine with them at the moment that they ordered for me.

Anyway, cheers all - Athena
 
I'm getting some next week and I'm in the uk. My lfs had to order them in for me though
 
I've had 4 in, but I've only ever seen 2 stick together (and the other two were completely independant.) From my experience, I'd use the 4 as a guide rather than a rule.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top