Can the sides of a tank overhang the stand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have a large fireplace, currently holding a soon-to-be redundant gas fire.
I intend to put a big tank in there, but there re no stands low enough for me to do that...so I'm likely going to have to build my own.
I'll be talking about big chunks of wood, to bear the weight of the tank.

Perhaps this could be an option for you, or maybe even find a professional to do it for you.
Oooo that is a good thought! Thanks! I am considering getting one of those long, low, really sturdy dressers for cheap off Craigslist or Facebook marketplace and just painting it myself, and normally I wouldn’t put a 40 breeder size tank on a dresser but those low ones are so sturdy, and the tank will only be half filled

Concrete blocks, some call them cinder blocks, are ideal supports for DIY tank stands. Photos below of two types of blocks, and of my 3-tank stand. If the tank is a single and in a room like a living room, a proper tank stand will be more aesthetically pleasing, but downstairs or in a dedicated fish room like I have this is inexpensive and extremely safe and strong. Never stand a block on end, always use three stacked as the support is stronger and much less likely to shift or tip.

Attachments

• concrete block1.jpg
    concrete block1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 43
  • concrete block2.jpg
    concrete block2.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0144.JPG
    DSCN0144.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 41
Concrete blocks, some call them cinder blocks, are ideal supports for DIY tank stands. Photos below of two types of blocks, and of my 3-tank stand. If the tank is a single and in a room like a living room, a proper tank stand will be more aesthetically pleasing, but downstairs or in a dedicated fish room like I have this is inexpensive and extremely safe and strong. Never stand a block on end, always use three stacked as the support is stronger and much less likely to shift or tip.
Ooooo ok, thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind, it Doesn’t even look all too bad. My LFS uses cinder blocks for their stands, they seem cheap and effective

Available for less than £3.50 each...and they can be painted, don't forget.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back