Can Someone Tell Me What's Wrong With My Fish? I'm Really Worr

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

donnam1993

Reaction score
Hi there I'm new to this website so this is probably in the wrong section but I'm really worried about my fish. I've had him for 3 years or so.

I've added some photos because i really can't describe it at all. They're not very clear because we had to remove the fish from the main tank (shared with 5 other fish) and place him in another tank. It started off with a boil type mark and then very quickly it began to get really worse. When i first noticed the boil i went to my pet store who suggested i give it something called 'Tetra Medica Gold Med' so i did, but it made it worse. the second photo doesn't really show it but it's almost like a hole. I went back over the pet store two days ago and they suggested i try something else. It seems to be getting worse however. Yesterday morning when i woke up the fish was floating at the top of the water but after taping the glass a few times he began to swim as normal. He also doesn't seem to be eating, it may be difficult because of what's wrong with him. Any help please? thanks.

Attachments

• fish 2.jpg
    fish 2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 183
That looks really nasty
sad.png

I would try a medicine for internal bacteria; most of these spots and boils are bacterial in origin, IME. I would recommend Myxazin, as it's always worked well for me in the past.

It's also going to be important to find out why the fish has got this, or it might reoccur. How big is the tank he lives in? How big and how often are your water changes? Are you cleaning the filter media in old tank water or under the tap?

If he's in a hospital tank, has that got a filter in it, and does it have media from the main tank's filter in it?

I have to ask all these questions as most fish 'diseases' are actually caused by poor water quality or inappropriate housing.

In the meantime, do large water changes on his tank every day; at least 75 or 80%.

Oh, and if you could get the water (from both tanks) tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and post the results, that would help too. If you don't have test kits, you can probably get your LFS (local fish shop) to test it for you, but do make sure they write down the actual numbers for you; 'fine' or 'a bit high' is of no use to us!

Thank you for the response I'll definetely get the water tested and I'm currently using Myxazin and have been for two days but nothing has changed unfortunetely, does it take a while to work?

Yes, of course; there are no miracle cures that will heal fish in two days!

Don't forget you'll need to top up the meds after each water change (so you're probably going to get through a fair bit of it, sorry!).

We had an outbreak like this on our Goldfish at work - a full treatment of Myxazin did the trick, love the stuff!

+75 for myxazin got me out of a few fishy conundrums! 

Most reactions

trending

Back