Can Platies Have Swords?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder
Reaction score
oh joy! another trick from petco: about 8 months ago i bought a medium sized mickey mouse platy. In september, stupidly, i bought a blue lobster. the crawdad attacked the platy, and ripped the whole entire back fin off. since, he has recovered, grown, and has also grown a massive sword. he didnt have one before. he was probably also about a year old when i bough him in the first place. the sword is about the size of a normal swordtails sword. how is this possible?

i was hoping somebody wouldnt ask that. ok, best picture i could get. is a stupid fish.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 43
Late blooming swordtail, this topic has been covered many times before and just recently, 2 days ago.

but i am wondering because he got attacked and then grew the sword very quickly.

but what im saying is that its a coincidence that after getting attacked, he then grew his swordtail.

when you got it it was a swordtail with out its tail and now you have a swordtail with its tail
swordtails are slightly longer in length and mals grow a tails. petshop swordtails and platys are a cross between each other.young fish can look alike and all start of looking like females

As was stated that is deffinitly a swordtail, swordtails as they develope change just as other fish,so you witnessed the tail growing in and colorchange.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back