Can my axolotl buddies be together?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mattxu

Reaction score
Can my axies be together?
20211204_095919[825].jpg

Hi! Axolotls can be rather cannibalistic when they are small. What is the tank size and how big are your axolotls? Give them lots of space, plenty of food, and some plants or hides so they can feel secure. This will go a long way in preventing missing limbs or gills. I have three axolotls in a 40 gallon tank (36x18x16 inches. The largest is 4 inches and they all do great with eachother. Watch for aggression. At that size, it takes a lot longer for them to grow gills and limbs back. If you notice any aggression, them going at eachother or if you see any bites or missing gills, limbs, or toes I would separate them. They sure are pretty!

I forgot to mention! When they are older, you will be able to tell their genders. If one is a male and one is a female, you may likely have to separate them. The males pester the females to breed, which can cause a lot of stress on the poor girls

I forgot to mention! When they are older, you will be able to tell their genders. If one is a male and one is a female, you may likely have to separate them. The males pester the females to breed, which can cause a lot of stress on the poor girls
bros😎
how are you supposed to breed them?

I have 2 pink Lucy’s, purchased from Craigslist. They are about a year old. The previous owners mentioned one was laying eggs. I observed eggs as well. They came in a 30 G hi. I modified the stand to accommodate a 40 G long. As the spawning continued in the new 40 G, I had concerns re stressing the female & moved her to a 20 G tank.

Prior to moving the female, I used a infrared wildlife camera to observe these nocturnal animals. The male was extremely hyperactive whereas the female hid in a cave most of the time. I observed some spawning activity. There’s a few excellent videos online, far superior to my blurry images.

The female is now far more active in her own tank. She even comes out of the hides during the day. The male continues to swim back & forth nights.

Hi! Axolotls can be rather cannibalistic when they are small. What is the tank size and how big are your axolotls? Give them lots of space, plenty of food, and some plants or hides so they can feel secure. This will go a long way in preventing missing limbs or gills. I have three axolotls in a 40 gallon tank (36x18x16 inches. The largest is 4 inches and they all do great with eachother. Watch for aggression. At that size, it takes a lot longer for them to grow gills and limbs back. If you notice any aggression, them going at eachother or if you see any bites or missing gills, limbs, or toes I would separate them. They sure are pretty!
Not mine! They made love, not war. But I’ve read what you have.

Yes, Sally is in the adjacent tank with the white sand. She has requested black out drapes between the tanks. She’s had enough of Mander and his manly ways. She adds she’s not cut out to be the mother of thousands & is enjoying her new convent.

Most reactions

Back