Can Males And Females Live Together?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FBTgirl2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I finally read the breeding part of a care sheet with them, they breed similar to Betta fish, Correct? So does that mean male and female Dwarf Gouramis can't live together? I have always only had males so I dunno much about there breeding or anything like that.

Males and females can be kept together aslong as the tank is big enough and theres some hiding spots. They are like bettas but there more like the wild types not betta splendens that where breed for the aggression because they breed them to fight in some places like Thailand not so much now but thats how they started.

ideally you need to keep 2x the number of females to males so that the attention of the males can be divived. If it's a 1:1 ratio the males are likely to harrass and stress the females.

Yep. I have a 1:1 male to female ratio right now. Its not good, the male doesnt hurt the female, but when he sees it come out of its corner, the male will go over, and chase her until she goes back in. Im currently trying to get rid of the male, for pickup.

Oh okay, would they breed possibly if you kept male and females together? I feel like a Gourami newbie.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back