Can I use my phone's internet on my laptop?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out this stupid smart phone. Believe me, it's not very smart to upset me when you are a plastic phone.

Any way, does anyone know if I can use my phone's internet on my laptop?

Basically I have been using a separate usb internet dongle for my laptop's internet, and I have been paying for a separate sim card and stuff for the dumb phone. I am sick of paying for both (cost me $100 a month) because I have a heap of data on the dumb phone and want to use it.

I don't want to take the sim card out of the phone and put it in the usb internet dongle thingy. Been doing that and it's annoying because they use a micro sim card that I can barely see, let alone handle.

And as always, the useless phone company won't help me out and their link to the product information guide does not have the info I require.

So if anyone knows how to use my dumb phone's internet on my laptop, please let me know how, but please put it in a common basic lingo. Simple English coz I'm not phone smart.

Not sure if you will be able to do this but here goes....

On the phone's settings menu....

Mobile Network
->
Tethering & portable hotspot
->
Wi-Fi Bridge
->
Open that, turn on and set the password to allow the phone to act as mobile hotspot using the mobile's internet access

The above is how to do it on my phone (Huwawei Honor 8X), your phone "should" have something very similar on your main settings menu

If you have the wi-fi bridge setting on the menu, you should be able to use the phone's wi-fi access password on the laptop

I have not needed to use my wi-fi bridge so am unsure what to tell you Colin......all I know is that it can be done and I assume the phone setting will give you instructions to follow via the keypad....sorry :(

All good :)

Well I got the internet working on my laptop by plugging the phone into my laptop via usb cable. I then went into settings and network, hotspot & tethering, ticked usb tethering and then found it on my laptop. I have to click a globe at bottom of the screen on the laptop and click one of the boxes and I have internet.

Not sure if it has a password but nothing like that appeared.

Wish I had known about this months ago, would have save me a heap of trouble buying usb internet dongles and having them not work.

My phone works as my modem and phone, woopy :)

Please be aware of the data use on your phone (it is not on wifi when an hotspot is established). Don't exactly know how that works in Australia but please prevent you've to pay afterwards after exceeding your datalimit.

I have yet to encounter a technical difficultly on my phone, tablets, or laptop that wasn’t resolved by Youtube videos

don’t have any, but I’m learning from the kids & teens on YouTube.
Born with cell phones in their hands.

Understand they text their buddies 24/7 & watch videos & do social media

I don't believe USB tethering requires a password as it is hard connected it is when you use hotspot on your phone that a password is connected - i.e,
laptop wifi -> phone -> cellular (or wifi) world
which is different than
laptop (usb) -> phone -> cellular (or wifi) world
-
as doubledutch noted if your phone is using cellular to conact the world then rate might apply. In the USA some companies used to bill for hotspot sep than normal data but as far as I know all companies ceased doing that 5+ years ago and you just consume data at your data rate (don't watch videos !)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back