Can I refrigerate Spirulina?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MuddyWaters

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is it ok to put spirulina in water and refrigerate it? If so, how long would it last and be ok to feed with?

I mixed up a little bit and have squirted it in my shrimp tank to keep my bamboo shrimp happy. He does a lot of getting food off the bottom instead of sitting in the flow. He does sit in the flow, but my water is pretty clear, so I guess he's getting the rest from the bottom. I read something that said you can squirt some spirulina near the bamboo shrimp to make sure he's getting enough food.

For those of you who know about my shrimp tank and my problem with overfeeding, I promise I'm not doing it too often. Thus my question- can I put a bit in a little ramekin and put it in the fridge? That's what I did, but it hit me that it might go bad and Lord knows I don't need any more challenges with the shrimp tank.

thanks! Also, any other ideas for bamboo shrimp and keeping them happy would be welcome. I love this guy- he's so fun to watch.

I would not do that at all,

Once soaked spirulina, introduced moisture, will creates a favorable environment for bacteria to multiply rapidly. This can lead to spoilage and potentially harm your fish.

Therefore, it's crucial that soaked spirulina be promptly consumed, ideally within 24 hours of preparation.

Soaked spirulina is not suitable for long-term storage in the refrigerator due to the high risk of bacterial growth.

Don't take my word for it, Just a good smell will be enough.

If it's refrigerated, the temperature should be about 5C and that should limit the growth of any bacteria. That's why we put food in the fridge, to slow the growth of bacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back