Can I put fish in here? And if so what?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
25 gallons is PLENTY big for a betta... But not 25 liters. That translates to 6 gallons which is basically a 5 gallon tank... The minimum for a betta. On top of that, its a tall tank, so there is not a lot of horizontal swim space. Its just not a good fit for any fish really... I would stick with shrimps and snails
Now I am going to take a little exception to the theory of "is 25 litres enough for a Betta" argument

Whilst I absolutely agree that bigger is better for a Betta, I also feel that we are forgetting one small detail here.

When you have more finnage & tail than your body, the last thing you need to be swimming in is an ocean of water.

Short finned & tailed Betta can handle vast quantities of water with ease since they have nothing to inhibit their movement or swimming ability.

But the big finned and tailed Betta cannot handle that situation so well, they get tired, they get stressed out and it probably shortens their lifespan a little bit too having to heave all that finnage & tail around....it is one of the reasons so many Betta become tailbiters, afterall.

I agree that a Betta should be in an aquarium no smaller than 5 gallons (which the 25-30 litre fits snuggly into that size) but at the same time you should also take into consideration the finnage and tail and how it will impact the ability to swim around the aquarium and, most importantly, how it manages to surface breathe without a struggle to get there.

The Betta is unique in that you should not only consider the volume of water but whether or not the fish can actually cope with living in that volume of water. And the big finned & tailed simply struggle when in more water.

Now I am going to take a little exception to the theory of "is 25 litres enough for a Betta" argument

Whilst I absolutely agree that bigger is better for a Betta, I also feel that we are forgetting one small detail here.

When you have more finnage & tail than your body, the last thing you need to be swimming in is an ocean of water.

Short finned & tailed Betta can handle vast quantities of water with ease since they have nothing to inhibit their movement or swimming ability.

But the big finned and tailed Betta cannot handle that situation so well, they get tired, they get stressed out and it probably shortens their lifespan a little bit too having to heave all that finnage & tail around....it is one of the reasons so many Betta become tailbiters, afterall.

I agree that a Betta should be in an aquarium no smaller than 5 gallons (which the 25-30 litre fits snuggly into that size) but at the same time you should also take into consideration the finnage and tail and how it will impact the ability to swim around the aquarium and, most importantly, how it manages to surface breathe without a struggle to get there.

The Betta is unique in that you should not only consider the volume of water but whether or not the fish can actually cope with living in that volume of water. And the big finned & tailed simply struggle when in more water.
I think 5g (25L) is a bare minimum for a betta and it would work BUT this tank is a tall one which means there is barely any swim space for the fish...

Haha I don’t think I’ll be keeping a jam jar but ide love a little nano tank but with already 2 large tanks in my living room I don’t know if the wife would approve another spot for her to keep what she wants, dominated by another tank lol
Depending on what fish you have of course, you could also keep shrimp in a large tank!
Unless you have fish that would eat them. Then they'd just be a very expensive snack...

The aquarium looks suspiciously like a Ciano Aqua 30 Hex.....if it is, it is very coincidental to something I have been discussing with the daughter of one of my neighbours over the last day or two.

Her mum is being moved to a hospice within the next week or two and she has a Ciano Aqua 30 Hex aquarium with a male Betta in it. The mum wants to be able to take her fish with her into the hospice but the daughter is not sure if they will allow it or that it is a good or practical idea to take it in there due to mum being bedridden and unable to take care of maintenance etc.

So another neighbour suggested that the daughter spoke to me cos they know I have fish and have rescued fish from another now deceased neighbour. The daughter and I have been discussing what to do with the Betta and I have said that if the hospice manager is not comfortable with having the fish live there with her mum or they will allow it and when her mum passes away, then I will take it in....obviously with its own aquarium since my hooligans will not be happy to have him share their space.

So I might end up with a Betta in the not too distant future. I have never been keen on Betta but I would rather take it in than have the fish euthanised or flushed due to not being wanted. (The daughter is not able to take on the care of the fish due to herself being in a wheelchair and living in a supported nursing home on her own, its just not practical for her....which I totally understand)
Thats so kind of you :) I often wonder what would happen to my fish in those circumstances.

Wills

Thats so kind of you :) I often wonder what would happen to my fish in those circumstances.

Wills

Maybe we should set up a "hey, if something happens to me, will you take my fish?" trade type thing for hobbyists local to each other.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back