can i get more fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

philip

Reaction score
hi,
i have this fish tank that is about 120litres(gallons?)
in the tank there is 6 guppys(2male,4female)
3 platies(1male,2females)thats all.the tank is higher than it
wide,the tank has 1 log of wood,heater at 78*c,2 filtres and
alot of nature plants,none flake,and a light
the tank seems very loney(males are not(females)),if the tank is suitable
is it hard to get the angels to breed,how much does a breeding pair cost to buy over the internet(i live in new zealand)shipping included

kind reguard nick

You cannot take angels, because your tank isn't big anough and water values are wrong.

Angels needs higher tank, at least 50cm high. Their fins are great, angels are 30cm high when adults. And, platies, guppies (Poecilia reticulata ?) need basic, hard water. Angels acidic, soft water -> water values don't match.

mrV said:
You cannot take angels, because your tank isn't big anough and water values are wrong.

Angels needs higher tank, at least 50cm high. Their fins are great, angels are 30cm high when adults. And, platies, guppies (Poecilia reticulata ?) need basic, hard water. Angels acidic, soft water -> water values don't match.
While i dont disagree with you about the mixture of livebearers and angelfish (or any other Amazonian species for that matter) being wrong i think that a 30 gallon (120L) tank would be sufficiant for a breeding pair of angelfish. Unless you are getting hold of some very pure strain angels or wild caught specimins i doubt very much that they will reach 12" (30cm) from fin tip to fin tip. The largest angels i have seen for years have measured no more than 7" (18cm) across the fins and have been considered large specimins.

My largest angel is 9 inches from tip to tip. He is part of a spawning pair that I keep in a standard 30g tank. I keep all my pairs in 30g tanks. Angel fish very hardy fish and do quite well in most types of water. Well the domestic bred ones are. With wild you dont have that much play room in the parameters. The extremes should be avoided of course. as far as the question about the price of a breeder pair goes. It all depends on the strain you want. The standard silvers Ive seen some sell as low as 40 bucks. Your higher end like half-blacks veil, koi, DD blacks can fetch upwards of 300 bucks, sometimes more if the colors are just right. As far as shipping is concerned. Being medium to large adult in size they need alot of water to survive the shipping process. Remember, 1 gallon weighs approx 8 pounds. I dont ship any adults in less then a gallon per fish. The exact costs of shipping depends on what method you choose. For example, a silver breeder pair costs 40 bucks, overnite shipping will run you in some instances 100. As you can see it can be quite expensive, even for a standard pair. Best thing to do is to buy 8 juviniles and grow them out. At about 8 months of age theyll start pairing off and start spawning. Out of 8 you should at least get 3 pairs. Hope this helps. Any more questions dont hesitate to ask.

Knucklehead - I was just wondering if you let the parents raise the fry or if you remove the eggs from the tank? If you leave the eggs with the parents, how long before you have to remove them, and what size tank do you let the fry grow out in?

Angelfish usually make great parents, and it's common to raise the fry in the same tank with the parents or to remove the eggs and raise the fry separately. I was just curious as to what Knucklehead does, as I thought that in order to raise the fry with the parents, a larger tank was required.

AquaNut said:
Knucklehead - I was just wondering if you let the parents raise the fry or if you remove the eggs from the tank? If you leave the eggs with the parents, how long before you have to remove them, and what size tank do you let the fry grow out in?
Unfortunatly my angels eat the eggs before hatching so I have to remove them. I use a 10g tanks to hatch and hold the fry for 2 weeks. After that they get moved to a 30g for another 2 weeks. Then 2 weeks after moving into the 30 they get moved to a 55g to grow out. I like to give them as much room as I possibly can to cut down on the number of runts. Depending on the size of the spawn, I sometimes have to use double the tanks. Its a ton of water changes but I enjoy every minute of it. Also with not being a large commercial breeder I can give ALL my tanks the personnal love and attention.

Most reactions

Back