FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

amazon puffer will be ok in the tank?

• No

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
The puffers, khuli loaches and honey gouramis come from soft water (GH below 150ppm).
The guppies, mollies and swordtails come from hard water (GH above 200ppm).

If you want the best for your fish, get a double tier stand and have 2 tanks. One for puffers and one for livebearers. Then put your gouramis and khulis in a third tank.
Iā€™ve been using the seriouslyfish website and it says that puffers are from 36 to 268 ppm, guppies fro, 143 to 536 ppm, black kuhli loaches from 0 to 143 ppm, honey gourami from 36 to 269 ppm, and a swordtail from 179 to 447 ppm. What if I just kept the hardness at 200ppm?

Puffers are not community fish and you cannot keep them with slow sedate fish with longish fins like gourami.

Puffers are not community fish and you cannot keep them with slow sedate fish with longish fins like gourami.
Amazon puffers arenā€™t as aggressive though. I have seen tanks with them and livebearers and gourami and catfish and tetras.

Amazon puffers arenā€™t as aggressive though. I have seen tanks with them and livebearers and gourami and catfish and tetras.
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

As fish keepers we aim to provide the best care we can. Members on the forum base their advice around what works well, based on the needs of the specific fish.

Advice is provided based upon experience, science, and proven facts.

The best thing you can do is provide separate tanks for any incompatible species. As stressful as this can be, itā€™s about the fishes welfare at the end of the day.

Following advice could help prevent you further problems down the line.

I hope this help, best of luck.

Last edited:
How about no gourami? Do you think that the tank could work then? Iā€™m fine with not getting the gourami

Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

As fish keepers we aim to provide the best care. Members on the forum base their advice around what works well, based on the needs of the specific fish.

Advice is provided based on experience, science, and proven facts.

The best thing you can do is provide separate tanks for any incompatible species. As stressful as this can be, itā€™s about the fishes welfare at the end of the day.

Following advice could help prevent you further problems down the line.

I hope this help, best of luck.
Iā€™m not trying to cause stress to my fish. I am just trying to find out what I can have and what I canā€™t. I have read and done my research on these fish. Most are compatible except the loach because of the water hardness difference.

My final stocking list may be 6 amazon puffers, 8 guppies, 3 mollies 3swordtails, 8 panda loaches, and some tetras maybe? Donā€™t know how many tetras I can put. I will use ph buffers to get it up or down to 7.0 and gh buffers that will get it to about 200ppm.

My final stocking list may be 6 amazon puffers, 8 guppies, 3 mollies 3swordtails, 8 panda loaches, and some tetras maybe? Donā€™t know how many tetras I can put. I will use ph buffers to get it up or down to 7.0 and gh buffers that will get it to about 200ppm.

First, we must know your GH and pH for the source (tap) water on its own. Using "buffers" is not that easy, and it can be seriously risky. There is no "middle ground" when it comes to fish with widely different requirements for GH, pH. The same applies to temperature and water flow, and both of these are more issues with your latest stocking.

Panda loaches require cooler (below 75F) water, and it must be fast flowing, meaning, much stronger currents than what the puffers will tolerate, and perhaps the tetras depending upon species.

Puffers are not community fish, they should be on their own as several of us have repeatedly pointed out.

First, we must know your GH and pH for the source (tap) water on its own. Using "buffers" is not that easy, and it can be seriously risky. There is no "middle ground" when it comes to fish with widely different requirements for GH, pH. The same applies to temperature and water flow, and both of these are more issues with your latest stocking.

Panda loaches require cooler (below 75F) water, and it must be fast flowing, meaning, much stronger currents than what the puffers will tolerate, and perhaps the tetras depending upon species.

Puffers are not community fish, they should be on their own as several of us have repeatedly pointed out.
My tap water ph is about 8 and the gh is about it 100ppm. I will do the test again today and also test my Ro DI water. I think Iā€™ll choose a different loach then.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back