FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

amazon puffer will be ok in the tank?

• No

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
This tank is not sufficient space (length/width here) for SAE.

We need to pin down the GH and pH before suggesting fish, and if it is to be RO water only, or tap water only (assuming this is higher GH). And know if there are any fish already acquired (like the kuhlii loaches being increased to five or six).
Ohhh gh? I thought you meant kh. My bad. I did a kh test and it is 10dkh. I donā€™t have a gh test kit so I just ordered one it should come Thursday. My ph test kit is for height range ph so it didnā€™t work either. I also ordered the regular ph test kit which should also come Thursday.

Ohhh gh? I thought you meant kh. My bad. I did a kh test and it is 10dkh. I donā€™t have a gh test kit so I just ordered one it should come Thursday. My ph test kit is for height range ph so it didnā€™t work either. I also ordered the regular ph test kit which should also come Thursday.

You might be able to get this data from your municipal water authority, check their website.

What result does the high range pH give? If you test tap water for pH you need to out-gas the CO2 or the reading may be inaccurate. Let a glass of tap water sit 24 hours before testing. This is not needed with tank water, just tap.

You might be able to get this data from your municipal water authority, check their website.

What result does the high range pH give? If you test tap water for pH you need to out-gas the CO2 or the reading may be inaccurate. Let a glass of tap water sit 24 hours before testing. This is not needed with tank water, just tap.
It doesnā€™t say it in their website. The color card doesnā€™t have the color in it for the ph test. Ok I will let it sit now until Thursday. About the SAE, are you sure you are talking about the same one as me?https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/siamese-algae-eater/ https://www.theaquariumguide.com/articles/siamese-algae-eater

It doesnā€™t say it in their website. The color card doesnā€™t have the color in it for the ph test. Ok I will let it sit now until Thursday. About the SAE, are you sure you are talking about the same one as me?https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/siamese-algae-eater/ https://www.theaquariumguide.com/articles/siamese-algae-eater

Yes, we are talking about the same fish, though the first linked site has the incorrect scientific name, but this species is rather confused taxonomically. The link I gave previously for Seriously Fish is reliable; I know nothing about these two linked sites, and anyone can set up a web page and be "expert" without knowing much. Not saying these two are bad sites, but without knowing the individual(s) who run them and write the data and their level of knowledge, I won't trust them. The second site for instance is suggesting this fish eats algae...not strictly true. It is one of only two species of aquarium fish that will usually eat brush/beard algae, but that is not the same thing. And one should never acquire any fish to solve a problem, as the fish has requirements and possibly problems associated with it, as indeed is the case here.

The common name Siamese Algae Eater is regularly applied to several related but distinct species. The species Crossocheilus langei is the one most often encountered in the hobby as the Siamese Algae Eater [SAE] and is the best at eating black brush [aka red beard] algae. The "true" SAE is actually Crossocheilus siamensis, a species initially described by H.M. Smith in 1931 as Epalzeorhynchus siamensis and moved by Banarescu into the genus Crossocheilus in 1986, and which has probably never been seen by hobbyists since the holotype [the specimen collected and used for the description] is the only one known. To further confuse, the fish described as C. siamensis by Smith was subsequently determined to be conspecific with a prior described species, Crossocheilus oblongus, so in fact there never was a C. siamensis as a distinct species, and the name now is a synonym for C. oblongus.

Confusion abounds with this fish, beyond the fore-going. There are several near-identical species within Crossocheilus, and they are occasionally seen in the hobby. Their usefulness as "algae eaters" is variable, depending upon the species. Then there are two other fish often confused with the SAE, known as the False Siamese Algae Eater, Garra cambodgiensis, and the Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus. Both of these regularly appear in the hobby, but neither will handle brush/beard algae like the common SAE. The False SAE can be distinguished by the dark lateral band that ends at the caudal peduncle whereas on the subject fish this band continues into the caudal fin. The Flying Fox has white-edged red and black coloured fins, not clear fins as in the subject species.

All of these attain six inches, and being a shoaling species they need a group if they are to be provided with what they "expect," and a large aquarium. They can sometimes have temperamental issues with other fish. These are not, frankly, fish well suited to home aquaria.

Yes, we are talking about the same fish, though the first linked site has the incorrect scientific name, but this species is rather confused taxonomically. The link I gave previously for Seriously Fish is reliable; I know nothing about these two linked sites, and anyone can set up a web page and be "expert" without knowing much. Not saying these two are bad sites, but without knowing the individual(s) who run them and write the data and their level of knowledge, I won't trust them. The second site for instance is suggesting this fish eats algae...not strictly true. It is one of only two species of aquarium fish that will usually eat brush/beard algae, but that is not the same thing. And one should never acquire any fish to solve a problem, as the fish has requirements and possibly problems associated with it, as indeed is the case here.

The common name Siamese Algae Eater is regularly applied to several related but distinct species. The species Crossocheilus langei is the one most often encountered in the hobby as the Siamese Algae Eater [SAE] and is the best at eating black brush [aka red beard] algae. The "true" SAE is actually Crossocheilus siamensis, a species initially described by H.M. Smith in 1931 as Epalzeorhynchus siamensis and moved by Banarescu into the genus Crossocheilus in 1986, and which has probably never been seen by hobbyists since the holotype [the specimen collected and used for the description] is the only one known. To further confuse, the fish described as C. siamensis by Smith was subsequently determined to be conspecific with a prior described species, Crossocheilus oblongus, so in fact there never was a C. siamensis as a distinct species, and the name now is a synonym for C. oblongus.

Confusion abounds with this fish, beyond the fore-going. There are several near-identical species within Crossocheilus, and they are occasionally seen in the hobby. Their usefulness as "algae eaters" is variable, depending upon the species. Then there are two other fish often confused with the SAE, known as the False Siamese Algae Eater, Garra cambodgiensis, and the Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus. Both of these regularly appear in the hobby, but neither will handle brush/beard algae like the common SAE. The False SAE can be distinguished by the dark lateral band that ends at the caudal peduncle whereas on the subject fish this band continues into the caudal fin. The Flying Fox has white-edged red and black coloured fins, not clear fins as in the subject species.

All of these attain six inches, and being a shoaling species they need a group if they are to be provided with what they "expect," and a large aquarium. They can sometimes have temperamental issues with other fish. These are not, frankly, fish well suited to home aquaria.
I see...do you think that 3 of them in the 60 gallon tank would be ok?

No.

Byron has said several times that these fish must be kept in a group of at least 6. Just 3 is not OK in any sized tank.

And they must be kept in a tank that has a footprint of 60 x 18 inches.

Can you tell us the following information to have it all in one place rather than scattered through several posts -

The size of your tank, in inches and gallons
The pH and GH of your tank water
The pH and GH of your tap water
The fish you already have

I know you are waiting for testers for pH and GH but let us know the results as soon as you can.

No.

Byron has said several times that these fish must be kept in a group of at least 6. Just 3 is not OK in any sized tank.

And they must be kept in a tank that has a footprint of 60 x 18 inches.

Can you tell us the following information to have it all in one place rather than scattered through several posts -

The size of your tank, in inches and gallons
The pH and GH of your tank water
The pH and GH of your tap water
The fish you already have

I know you are waiting for testers for pH and GH but let us know the results as soon as you can.
I think I may go with 6 amazon puffers, 3 mollies, 3 swordtails, 3 Siamese algae eaters, 5 guppies, 2 go,den algae eaters, 6 kuhli loaches, 4 or 5 dwarf gourami in a 60 gallon 36x20 tank. I will test everything as soon as I can. I already have 1 Molly, 1 swordtail, 3 adult guppies, about 25 guppy fry (I will most likely give them away, 2 small golden algae eaters, 7 inch long Siamese algae eaters (most likely also return, 1 kuhli loach.

If you have soft water (using reverse osmosis water), your livebearers (mollies, platies, swordtails, guppies) will not survive for long. These fish naturally occur in hard alkaline water with a GH above 200ppm and a pH above 7.0. If you keep these fish in soft water, they will be more prone to health issues and die prematurely.

If you have soft water (using reverse osmosis water), your livebearers (mollies, platies, swordtails, guppies) will not survive for long. These fish naturally occur in hard alkaline water with a GH above 200ppm and a pH above 7.0. If you keep these fish in soft water, they will be more prone to health issues and die prematurely.
How can I change the hardness and ph?

I think I may go with 6 amazon puffers, 3 mollies, 3 swordtails, 3 Siamese algae eaters, 5 guppies, 2 go,den algae eaters, 6 kuhli loaches, 4 or 5 dwarf gourami in a 60 gallon 36x20 tank. I will test everything as soon as I can. I already have 1 Molly, 1 swordtail, 3 adult guppies, about 25 guppy fry (I will most likely give them away, 2 small golden algae eaters, 7 inch long Siamese algae eaters (most likely also return, 1 kuhli loach.
I will be running a fluval g3 filter and a fluval u2 internal filter

You can increase the GH and pH with Rift Lake water conditioners. These are mineral salts that increase the GH, KH and pH. However, the other fishes you have listed come from soft acid water (GH below 150ppm and pH below 7.0).

Realistically, if you want livebearers and gouramis, then have 2 tanks and keep the livebearers in hard water and the other fishes in soft water.

I think I may go with ........3 Siamese algae eaters........ 60 gallon 36x20 tank

You have been told several times -

This tank is not large enough for this species. Data here:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-langei/
As you will see, a group needs a 150 cm (5-foot) tank.

You should return the Siamese Algae Easters; they reach six inches, and will develop an hierarchy but this means they need more space, at minimum a 120 cm (4-foot) length tank.

This tank is not sufficient space (length/width here) for SAE.

You need to take the SAEs that you have back to the shop.

so how about 6 puffers, 6 guppies, 3 mollies, 3 swordtails, 8 kuhli loaches, 4 honey gourami, in the 60 gallon?

The puffers, khuli loaches and honey gouramis come from soft water (GH below 150ppm).
The guppies, mollies and swordtails come from hard water (GH above 200ppm).

If you want the best for your fish, get a double tier stand and have 2 tanks. One for puffers and one for livebearers. Then put your gouramis and khulis in a third tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back