Can I add fish a few hours after final large water change?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Kelsiejj25

Reaction score
Iā€™ve finished fishless cycling my 145l tank and wondered if I can put fish in there a couple of hours after Iā€™ve done the final big water change to lower the nitrates or do I have to wait 24 hours? I use seachem prime to treat the water. This is for fancy goldfish.

Iā€™ve finished fishless cycling my 145l tank and wondered if I can put fish in there a couple of hours after Iā€™ve done the final big water change to lower the nitrates or do I have to wait 24 hours? I use seachem prime to treat the water. This is for fancy goldfish.
fish dont lower nitrates, plants do, what are your conditions?

Yes, If your tank can consistently reduce a dose of ammonia in 24 hours and you have water changed out the nitrates, you are ready for fish. It would not be beneficial to wait too long because the beneficial bacteria will begin to die off without an ammonia source, so add fish and their ammonia feeds the beneficial bacteria. :)

Yes, If your tank can consistently reduce a dose of ammonia in 24 hours and you have water changed out the nitrates, you are ready for fish. It would not be beneficial to wait too long because the beneficial bacteria will begin to die off without an ammonia source, so add fish and their ammonia feeds the beneficial bacteria. :)
yes but first we need conditions, if somehting is too high then you cannot add fish

yes but first we need conditions, if somehting is too high then you cannot add fish
It has been fishless cycled. A cycled tank will not have ammonia or nitrite, and the OP understands the need to water change out the nitrate. :)

It has been fishless cycled. A cycled tank will not have ammonia or nitrite, and the OP understands the need to water change out the nitrate. :)
nice

A fishless cycle makes a lot of nitrate. At the end of the cycle, a very large water change is done to remove this nitrate and get it down to tap water level.

@Kelsiejj25 When you refill, make sure the tank temperature is the right level for the fish you want, then you can add fish as soon as you want.

Yay for a cycled tank! Can't wait to see your fancy goldfish! Have fun!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back