Can I Add A Musk Turtle To My Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jamieleigh.

Reaction score
I currently have a 60ltr tropical fish tank, it has 2 platys, 2 mollies, 3 neon tetras and 4 baby angels (about the size of a 10p and are in a fry net). It is 40cmx40cmx40cm, i was wondering if it would be okay to put a musk turtle in there? As far as I know they stay at the bottom of the tank and usually do not bother basking. would it be okay to put one in there? would i need to add a basking area and do they need any special lighting ect?
I am also possibly buying another tank about 1 foot tall and about 3/4 feet long, would that tank be more suited if my current one isnt? Thanks:)

I have to disagree with Sam, I have 2 musk turtles in a 95lt with 6 gouramis and a bristlenose. The turtles had a look at the gouramis but soon lost interest and they don't bother with the pleco. As for a docking station, I had 1 in and they never used it.
This isn't to say the turtles won't munch your fish I just know they haven't munched any of mine.

I'm not planning on keeping all the angels, just one or two. I have a few friends and have seen online people keeping musks with fish in bigger tanks that get on quite happily that's why I was considering it. If I get a bigger tank (about 4ft long) would they be able to live in it with fish? Or if I moved the fish into the big tank would 1/2 musks be able to live in the 60ltr happily?

I'm not planning on keeping all the angels, just one or two. I have a few friends and have seen online people keeping musks with fish in bigger tanks that get on quite happily that's why I was considering it. If I get a bigger tank (about 4ft long) would they be able to live in it with fish? Or if I moved the fish into the big tank would 1/2 musks be able to live in the 60ltr happily?

Do you think one male musk could live in my 60ltr if I added a floating basking spot? Would I have to lower the water level a bit too?

Do you think one male musk could live in my 60ltr if I added a floating basking spot? Would I have to lower the water level a bit too?
I think that would be ok in 60lt you would need to lower the water level for the basking spot but if he does'nt use it it whip it out and top up the water. One thing I will say is that my male musk is alot crankier than the female.

I have read that musk turtle females grow a lot larger than males though. I currently have just normal(I think) lights in my tank, will I add a uvb lamp in instead of them or aswell as them?

I have read that musk turtle females grow a lot larger than males though. I currently have just normal(I think) lights in my tank, will I add a uvb lamp in instead of them or aswell as them?
I have no special lights on my tank.

I also read somewhere you need a uvb lamp to strengthen bones and its shell, is this not necessary?

I also read somewhere you need a uvb lamp to strengthen bones and its shell, is this not necessary?
They need uv light to help them absorb calcium. I use calcium powder on their food.

So, I don't need a uv/b lamp as long as I give it powered calcium on its food and I can give it a basking area but if it doesn't use it I can take it away? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can before committing myself to a pet.

I'm not planning on keeping all the angels, just one or two.
I'm afraid I can't advise you on the turtles, but I can say, you can't keep even one angel in a 40cm cube. It's just not big enough. They need a tank that's at least three feet long and 18 inches tall.

If it's less than three feet long and less than 18 inches tall, then no. That really is the smallest size you can keep angels in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back