Can Fish Choke On Their Food?

Sorry to hear about your Oto Soybean I hear they can just keel over for no reason - I suppose any fish can. I'm over losing the platy now - think I was most upset that I'd got them through the ammonia troubles only for one to die eating a bloodworm :angry:

I get paid on Wednesday so I'll head down to the lfs and see if I can get another young platy to replace her. If I'm honest I like the sunset platies so I'll be hoping they have some in stock.
My other female platy looks a bit slimmer this morning but I can't see any sign of fry so I'm guessing they were peckish during the night

I've just found one of my Oto's dead now ... there has to be another death ... things always come in 3's :sad:

I always defrost my bloodworm then stick a pair of scissors in them and chop them up. Makes it easier for the fish to eat and gives the smaller fish a chance too.

I always defrost my bloodworm then stick a pair of scissors in them and chop them up. Makes it easier for the fish to eat and gives the smaller fish a chance too.

That's a good idea, thanks for that Gilli. I shall definitely do that as I'm now feeling quite wary of giving them again.

I've found out potenttially why the Oto might have died. My ammonia had crept up - difficult to tell in electric light but it looked about .25. One 50% water change completed and test kit still out to test again in the morning

Most reactions

Back