Can Cherry Shrimp Carry Eggs If There's No Male?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

STEVE2493

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i thought i only had females, but three times i've seen a female carry eggs but none have hatched.
there in a shrimp only tank, so nothing eating them.
anyone no?

If you can see eggs then they have been fertilised by a male. Eggs that havn't been fertilised are represented as a "saddle" higher up the female.

If you can see eggs then they have been fertilised by a male. Eggs that havn't been fertilised are represented as a "saddle" higher up the female.

however, this may not be the case with all shrimp. i read of may berried shrimp, whilst there is no male in the tank. but the eggs drop after only a few days

lol, conflicting answers.
i'll just have to wait an see if they berry again.

From experience, females will "yank" their eggs off their pleopods (swimming legs) in about a day if the eggs are infertile. The eggs don't always get fertilised even if you have males. If they carry the eggs for beyond a few days then it's quite likely that you have little shrimplets hiding somewhere. It takes about 3-4 weeks for them to hatch. The babies are very good at hiding and quite invisible.

From experience, females will "yank" their eggs off their pleopods (swimming legs) in about a day if the eggs are infertile. The eggs don't always get fertilised even if you have males. If they carry the eggs for beyond a few days then it's quite likely that you have little shrimplets hiding somewhere. It takes about 3-4 weeks for them to hatch. The babies are very good at hiding and quite invisible.

ahh, thanks for the confirmation. makes sense, as the females on most species have to discard unused eggs on a regular basis.

Most reactions

Back