Can anyone identify this tropical fish for me

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Danlacey1988

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's some sort of torpedo barb but never seen one before anywhere

Attachments

• IMG_20210616_192636_484.jpg
    IMG_20210616_192636_484.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 56
As someone who does care about the world we live in, and the fish that share this planet with us, this disgusts me. This "gold" Denison Barb is another man-made mutation from Indonesia in 2011.

The natural species is endangered, but the industry does not care one iota about that, so long as they can produce these money-makers.

It is a cyprinid, not a tetra, not that that really matters.

As someone who does care about the world we live in, and the fish that share this planet with us, this disgusts me. This "gold" Denison Barb is another man-made mutation from Indonesia in 2011.

The natural species is endangered, but the industry does not care one iota about that, so long as they can produce these money-makers.

It is a cyprinid, not a tetra, not that that really matters.
I didn't realise it was modified just thought it was a albino if some kind

@Danlacey1988 I am curious - have you got this fish or seen it in a shop? It's just that your location implies you are in the UK and GM organisms are not permitted here so I was curious as to how this fish came to be in the UK.

@Danlacey1988 I am curious - have you got this fish or seen it in a shop? It's just that your location implies you are in the UK and GM organisms are not permitted here so I was curious as to how this fish came to be in the UK.
No I don't have it or seen one I was just curious as to what fish it was saw a picture on a page somewhere and was confused as I had never seen one before
But after reading these comments I can see why

I think it is a selective / linebred colorvariation and no GM is involved.
Pretty sure cause Maidenhead Aquatics sells them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back