Can anyone Diagnose scale issue on large goldfish.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Carfalk

Reaction score
AE3DB804-AF25-41E4-864E-DD303DEE29B3.jpeg

Goldfish need a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 100ppm.

Do regular water changes, gravel cleaning and filter maintenance.

Feed lots of plant matter.

Make sure they have lots of aeration/ surface turbulence to provide oxygen in hot weather.

If they get sick, do a huge water change and add salt.
I have a goldfish that is a over a year old and so he has been pretty hearty. We just had our power restored after 7 days of heat and the aquarium Water was very Dirty. The scales look abraded on the fish. I did what you suggested above with water change and added salt. Should I add salt every day now for a week? I read that helps ich but I don’t think that is the issue. Thanks!

Attachments

• D576A52E-E4C9-4829-BBC0-29F522A9CFD4.jpeg
    D576A52E-E4C9-4829-BBC0-29F522A9CFD4.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 87
I have a goldfish that is a over a year old and so he has been pretty hearty. We just had our power restored after 7 days of heat and the aquarium Water was very Dirty. The scales look abraded on the fish. I did what you suggested above with water change and added salt. Should I add salt every day now for a week? I read that helps ich but I don’t think that is the issue. Thanks!

Do you have an ammonia test kit? After 7 days without power it is quite possible that most, if not all, of your beneficial bacteria has died. If you are unable to test for ammonia or nitrite I suggest you treat it as a new tank with a fish in cycle. 75% daily water changes and only feed sparingly. Get some tests for ammonia and nitrite so that you can understand what is going on.

I’m afraid I need a clearer pic. Probably just stress and possibly scraped himself. Scales will grow back. Do daily water changes for 10 days along with aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons the first day. After that do 50% change daily and add 1/2 tablespoon salt per 5G. Be sure salt is dissolved first.

I’m afraid I need a clearer pic. Probably just stress and possibly scraped himself. Scales will grow back. Do daily water changes for 10 days along with aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons the first day. After that do 50% change daily and add 1/2 tablespoon salt per 5G. Be sure salt is dissolved first.
I agree it looks like he scraped himself. He was scraping against the plastic plant like he was itchy. That sounds like good advice. Water change for 10 days is 20-30%of water? I Know that Adding a lot of salt is not good for a goldfish.

I agree it looks like he scraped himself. He was scraping against the plastic plant like he was itchy. That sounds like good advice. Water change for 10 days is 20-30%of water? I Know that Adding a lot of salt is not good for a goldfish.
The dose I gave you above is fine for 10 days. I have raised goldies for 50 years. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back