Can A Strong Current Upset Fish?

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
May 4, 2004
Messages
6,671
Reaction score
438
Points
83
Location
Wirral UK
I've just changed tanks to a 150g tank and bought a large powerful external to go with it. I need to modify the pipe work but for now the spray bar is in the tank and there is a fair current. an old single rainbow looks like he enjoys it but the tank is really home for reedfish, fire eels, ornate bichirs a clown knife and BGK plus couple of plecs.

I suspect the water flow wouldn't please the knifes and eels but would it be detrimental to their well being?
 
The plecos are certainly liking the current. I'm not up on my eels, but I do know that a strong current can hurt a fish if it shouldn't be in one, just like a weak current can hurt a fish should be in a strong current. i doubt a spray bar is causing enough current to kill your eels. Also, I know some knives like current, just do some research on them and I'm sure you could find out. Just adjust your flow a little and you should be fine. By the way what size and what kind of external filter is it.
 
its a resun 280 cheaper option than others but super strong flow on it

cos of the way the tank is built and the pipes that came with it its not finished set up wise but I had the spray bar down in the vertical in tank so it was spraying out under the water. I have moved it now to top but fair current as I have a huge floating plant that is just swirling round!

the fish seem fine so far and the reeds seem to enjoy the flow, just wondering about the bichir at this stage as he seems more active than whenhe was i other tank
 
Currents all good, alot of commonly kept FW tropicals come from fast flowing rivers anyway :) so aslong as theres atleast a small area of the tank not too effected (usually below the otflow pipe) then the fish will be fine.
 
my betta hates currents but my butterfly sucker loves them! it all depends on the species my friend :)
 
Currents all good, alot of commonly kept FW tropicals come from fast flowing rivers anyway :) so aslong as theres atleast a small area of the tank not too effected (usually below the otflow pipe) then the fish will be fine.
this is pretty much what i've heard too
 

Most reactions

Back
Top