What's new

Can a purple spotted gudgeon live in a peacock/mbuna cichlid tank

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Sable10209

Reaction score
I have a purple spotted gudgeon that is 5 inches in my 55 gallon tank. I’m redoing it and getting rid of some fish that are already in it. I want to change it into an African cichlid tank. I have a big peacock cichlid who is around 6 inches with a big body and a medium sized white mbuna cichlid and everybody seems to be getting along fine. I have only one of each because I didn’t know as much as I do now when I got the cichlids. The only reason I am asking this is because recently, when my peacock gets close to my gudgeon, my gudgeon swims away in fear even though the cichlid shows no aggression. Because of this, I thought that if I get more cichlids, it’ll stress out my gudgeon and he will die. He is a very prized fish to me and I won’t be able to get rid of him. My peacock and my gudgeon have been together since they were just an inch and a half big so I’m not sure why my gudgeon is getting so scared.

I have a purple spotted gudgeon that is 5 inches in my 55 gallon tank. I’m redoing it and getting rid of some fish that are already in it. I want to change it into an African cichlid tank. I have a big peacock cichlid who is around 6 inches with a big body and a medium sized white mbuna cichlid and everybody seems to be getting along fine. I have only one of each because I didn’t know as much as I do now when I got the cichlids. The only reason I am asking this is because recently, when my peacock gets close to my gudgeon, my gudgeon swims away in fear even though the cichlid shows no aggression. Because of this, I thought that if I get more cichlids, it’ll stress out my gudgeon and he will die. He is a very prized fish to me and I won’t be able to get rid of him. My peacock and my gudgeon have been together since they were just an inch and a half big so I’m not sure why my gudgeon is getting so scared.
African cichlids can be quite the bullies when you are not looking. If the Gudgeon is already scared of your Peacock, then, I'm guessing, it has been chased by the Peacock at some point. It wouldn't run awau for nothing. I'd imagine the best option is to separate them, or get a considerably larger tank. BUT I'm no expert (specially about Gudgeons) so I guess wait to see what the others have to say :)
Good luck !

I haven't seen Mogurnda gudgeons around for a long time. They are tough fish, but I'm afraid if it stays with a territorial Cichlid (ie, any Cichlid), you won't see it for long. As the fish grow, they develop as we do, and an adult Lake Malawi Cichlid will be very different from a little one. I expect your gudgeon knows its outgunned, but that it wants the same kind of home as the Cichlid, and only one species gets the prize.
East African Cichlids are very different fish from most other Cichlids, and should not be combined with any fish not from the same lake as they are. Their habitats are very extreme, and how they've adapted to them makes them only community fish with each other. The Cichlids aren't mean - they evolved in a rough neighbourhood and tend to hit first and ask questions later.
You need a tank for each. I'd keep the Mogurnda., They are very cool fish.

I haven't seen Mogurnda gudgeons around for a long time. They are tough fish, but I'm afraid if it stays with a territorial Cichlid (ie, any Cichlid), you won't see it for long. As the fish grow, they develop as we do, and an adult Lake Malawi Cichlid will be very different from a little one. I expect your gudgeon knows its outgunned, but that it wants the same kind of home as the Cichlid, and only one species gets the prize.
East African Cichlids are very different fish from most other Cichlids, and should not be combined with any fish not from the same lake as they are. Their habitats are very extreme, and how they've adapted to them makes them only community fish with each other. The Cichlids aren't mean - they evolved in a rough neighbourhood and tend to hit first and ask questions later.
You need a tank for each. I'd keep the Mogurnda., They are very cool fish.
Do you think my gudgeon will get along well with angelfish or a blue acara? Also where could I get rid of fish I no longer want?

Also where could I get rid of fish I no longer want?
You can return them to a local fish store, give them away to a friend that has a tank for them or you could give/sell on Facebook or another platform.

Do you think my gudgeon will get along well with angelfish or a blue acara? Also where could I get rid of fish I no longer want?
I've heard good stories about mixing purple gudgeons with fire mouths. I'd assume blue acaras would be fine if your tank is large enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back