Calming Community?

Ethos

Fish Aficionado
Joined
May 11, 2005
Messages
3,401
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
ES
I've been considering a summer project (Planted community) recently, so what do you guys think about fish for a 55G+?
I was thinking My beloved lost gourmis and some neons or rasboras(sp?) or just some regular semi-movement community tetra that likes/looks good in a planted tank.
I know I could find all the compatability options by myself, but I think its more interesting to hear from you guys. ;)

SO what kind of communty fish would you put if you had a suddenly available 55G planted tank?

(PS: Should be something commenly found in a Northern US LFS)
(Oh, and you can just give a species you like ;) )
 
Angels.

Neons, a big group.

Corydoras are fun to look at, if that'd help with the calmness. :P

Rams are generally very calm and slow moving.

Gouramis sound like a god idea. *nods*

Black skirt tetras are very slow moving and docile.
 
Yes, piranhas mutilating other fish is quite calming to look at. :P

Khuli loaches, also, I forgot them, though you'd be lucky to get these guys to come out during the day, unfortunately. :/
 
Yeah, unfortunatley this is usually when I seem to go wrong.
I wanted a gourami community, I ended up with a Mbuna Cichlid community.
A little different, ya think? ;)
I like Koi angels and have considered them before, but they seem agressive to a community.
I also like the idea of the huge neon school.
 
It's tough to beat the look of a good sized school of rummynose tetras in a planted tank. They school as tightly as any fish I've seen and are constantly on the move. Not really fast swimmers, more of a gentle to-and-fro motion in the tank. I'd go with a dozen at least.
 
How well do rummynose's fare with angels or gourmis?
I've never had a schooling fish... except WC's, and they're really boring.
 
if you want a schooling fish go for harlequin rasbora's, they're the bestest fish ever.......... well maybe not but they're pretty cool


I've a shoal in with some gourami's, never bothered them, also had an angel in there for a while (he's gone to a bigger more suitable home with other angels now though) and he didn't bother them either :)
 
I've seen rummynose in tanks with angelfish often. Not sure about gouramis but I don't see it being a problem, perhaps someone with experience could comment? They are gentle fish that don't bother their tankmates at all IME.
 
I have angelfish and gouramis in my tank, and neither are problem to any of the other fish. I have koi angels aswell, as you can see as my pic, and I think they are the nicest looking angelfish.
 
I've had Gouramis before.. I had a pearl, opaline, and a blue, and a chocolate. I love how active they are compaired to other fish!
Isn't there a more interesting schooling fish/tetra besides the rummy nose? They seem kinda transparent to me, and I don't like see-thru fish.. albino doesn't quiet hit it either..
 
emporer tetras are amazing in plated aquria gourami are good a huge grop of neons an a little gang of harlequins would be good perhaps mix in a few glowlights an black neons with your normal neons as they will shoal together an look more complex
 
I'd definitely go with a pair of some kind of dwarf cichlid, a huge shoal of harlequin rasboras, an attractive mid-sized plec (our L200 in the 35g planted community tank is great), and a bunch of otos.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top