Calling all 10 gallon tanks

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MNfishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
While my tank is cycling, I still dont know what fish to put in it. Ive looked at alot but I just can decide. I would realy like to get a variety of fish, and the most I can get comfortably. I would realy like to see what other people have in their 10 gallon tanks. Any info is appricited.

BTW I realy want to get a 40 gallon tank for some bala sharks, They look AWESOME

oh sweet those tetra are awesome, i wish my LFS had some

I have three 10 gallons set up at the moment. :nod: Now yes, I do know that they are rather overstocked, but I have serious filtration on every one of my tanks, and I do regular cleanings and water changes without fail, and everything is going wonderfully. ;) :thumbs: But maybe these will give you a few ideas of the different things you can do with them. :D

10 Gallon #1:
1 female Betta
4 Swordtails
6 Platies

10 Gallon #2:
1 male Betta
8 Yucatan Mollies
3 Bristlenose Plecs

10 Gallon #3:
4 female Bettas
4 Kuhli Loaches
2 Skunk Loaches
3 Corys
1 Apple Snail

You could put in a small shoal of any of the smaller tetras and either panda or pygmy cories.

Much better to have a few healthy great lookign fish then loads of sickly ones.

Alternatively u could try guppies, cherry barbs which i like or try the very small danios

3 bronze corys
2 albino corys
2 blue neon gouramis
4 neon tetras

Ok thanks, one quick question, do blue rams and cherry barbs go together?

You're looking for variety, a tough task for such a small tank. There just isn't a lot of room in a 10g, and getting more than a couple of different types of fish can be difficult, but you should be able to accomplish your goals.

Here's what I'd suggest. Choose 1 species from each group:

Group 1:
1 betta
1 dwarf gourami

Group 2:
A pair of cherry barbs
5-6 harlequin rasboras or other very small, non-nippy schooling fish

Group 3:
4 corys (small species only)
4 otos

Overfiltration and dilligent maintenance would be a must.

Good luck with what you decide... :thumbs:

In group 1 above id add a pair of honey gourami's, the are lovely fish and i love mine to bits, the males look very colourfull and the female was slightly duller but still very pretty.

The male keeps building a bubble nest and they swim together doing little dances, a very nice fish, one of my fav's

In my current 10 gallon I have 2 rosey reds, a snail, a pleco, an albino frog, and five ghost shrimp. In my tank in the past I had a male beta, a bala shark( I didn't know they like to be in groups :*) ) the bala was small, a red tail shark, two tetras, a catfish, and a pleco. It sounds crowed but the fish did great until I left for a week. My cat knocked the heater into the water and it shattered killing all my fish. But I have sence fixed that problem with my new tank. :hey:

Hi,
I'm also new at fishkeeping and when my cycle was done (a little over a month ago) I found myself wondering the same thing you are right now. Before I could even think about what I wanted for my tank, my niece gave me a guppy and a whiteskirt tetra as a surprise present. I gotta tell you, no one was more surprised than me because, to be honest, I woudn't have chosen this kind of tetra myself. They're kinda big for a 10 gal. and they like to be in groups. Despite that, I went and bought two more because I read they're not good at being alone. Like you, I wanted a variety of fish. Colorful and easy to keep. I chose platys and they are wonderful. Cute as buttons and very smart. Sadly my female platy just died, but when my tank is ready I'd like to get 1 or 2 more platys. They have great personalities! Same goes for the guppys. Now I have 4 of them (2 boys and 2 girls). These little guys really colour up the tank!
Note: if you decide to go for livebearers, I suggest you read as much as you can about them. This borad is a great start.

Good luck with your new tank! ;)

Thanks guys for the help. My bro has 6 neon tetras in his tank so im not getting any of those. Im thinking some cherry barbs and a platy or two. Thanks again

mine might be a little overstocked but i have

2 female bettas
6 neons
and 4 glo lights
but i do have a power filter thats ment to be in a tank double its size

they all school together which is preety funny

btw what are you taling about? us gals or uk gals?(right now im talking uk gals)

Most reactions

Back