Calcium What Kind?

fishyguy43

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi ive bin using a powder form of Calcium to dose my tank for the last 6 months, its made by Tropic Marine. Im almost out now and i have just recently found out that my lfs is out and will not be getting anymore any time soon. I have not had any problems keeping my calcium levels up with this but i cant find it anymore. So my question is what do u guys does ur tank with what do u suggest i use? I only have a 55 with a sump and im not rich so a reactor is out.

Also does anyone here add Magnesium to there tanks? I did for the first 4 months and i have now stopped should i get more and add it? THXS for any help Mike

So you were using bio calcium by Tropic Marin? That is one of the best calcium additives you can use. Turbo calcium by Kent Marine is all right as well, but my first choice would be the Tropic Marin Bio calcium.

So you were using bio calcium by Tropic Marin? That is one of the best calcium additives you can use. Turbo calcium by Kent Marine is all right as well, but my first choice would be the Tropic Marin Bio calcium.
i use reef complete calicium builder. keeps calcium fine one capfull per 80L.

I cant help you with the calcium thing- but did your damsels leave your blue hippo alone? or do they fight?

I have two yellowtail Damsels and they leave my Hippo Tang alone along with all my other fish. The yellowtails are the least agressive of the Damsels. SO dont worry about ur yellowtails.

Yea im using Bio Calcium by Tropic Marin, and its worked great i havnt had any problems with it but the lfs says the company is having trouble with there factories and wont be getting any in for a while. Do u know where i could order some?

I cant help you with the calcium thing- but did your damsels leave your blue hippo alone? or do they fight?

I have two yellowtail Damsels and they leave my Hippo Tang alone along with all my other fish. The yellowtails are the least agressive of the Damsels. SO dont worry about ur yellowtails.

Yea im using Bio Calcium by Tropic Marin, and its worked great i havnt had any problems with it but the lfs says the company is having trouble with there factories and wont be getting any in for a while. Do u know where i could order some?

Alkalinity drops just as fast as calcium so if your dosing one then you should you been doing the other in balance.

I use a 2 part balanced additive but its cheaper to drip kalk intt your tank overnight.

Right. First, none of you questions can be answered until one is asked: do you test your CA, Alk, and Mg levels? Hopefully you do, and with reliable test kits such as Salifert. If you don't, then you must stop dosing anything and test your levels!

As for what to use, you can go to the fish stores and drain your wallet on this stuff, OR you can go to Home Depot or if they don't have it WalMart or somewhere else and get Prestone Driveway Heat. It is the exact same stuff as the turbo calcium stuff you will find in jars at the lfs -- anhydrous calcium chloride. Beware, though -- not all ice melts are the same. It has to be Prestone Driveway Heat or the actual product -- Peladow pellets by Dow Chemical. Whether under the Prestone label or the Dow label it comes in various sizes but you can get 50lb bags for about $15.

For the alkalinity supplement you should get regular old Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. If you have trouble keeping pH up, bake it for an hour at 300deg F. This turns the baking soda into washing soda/soda ash. If you don't, then just use the baking soda.

For Magnesium ,that's trickier. You can go to www.harveysalt.com and get the Mag flake. Again it's in 50lb bags and they will ship you one bag despite what the website may say.

For how much to use, you need to use one of the calculators, such as here:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

In general, with this stuff, it is best to dose both the Ca and Alk supplements equally and continuously via a drip method or peristaltic pump. But at least add equal amounts. The best formula to make a balanced additive along the lines of B-Ionic is here:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

Enjoy! (someone should sticky this)

Sorry to jump in but the comany i work for probuce pure calcium carbonate (CaCO3) tablets at 250mg and 500mg

Do you think these would be a sutable additive to up the cal levels??

Right. First, none of you questions can be answered until one is asked: do you test your CA, Alk, and Mg levels? Hopefully you do, and with reliable test kits such as Salifert. If you don't, then you must stop dosing anything and test your levels!

As for what to use, you can go to the fish stores and drain your wallet on this stuff, OR you can go to Home Depot or if they don't have it WalMart or somewhere else and get Prestone Driveway Heat. It is the exact same stuff as the turbo calcium stuff you will find in jars at the lfs -- anhydrous calcium chloride. Beware, though -- not all ice melts are the same. It has to be Prestone Driveway Heat or the actual product -- Peladow pellets by Dow Chemical. Whether under the Prestone label or the Dow label it comes in various sizes but you can get 50lb bags for about $15.

For the alkalinity supplement you should get regular old Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. If you have trouble keeping pH up, bake it for an hour at 300deg F. This turns the baking soda into washing soda/soda ash. If you don't, then just use the baking soda.

For Magnesium ,that's trickier. You can go to www.harveysalt.com and get the Mag flake. Again it's in 50lb bags and they will ship you one bag despite what the website may say.

For how much to use, you need to use one of the calculators, such as here:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

In general, with this stuff, it is best to dose both the Ca and Alk supplements equally and continuously via a drip method or peristaltic pump. But at least add equal amounts. The best formula to make a balanced additive along the lines of B-Ionic is here:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

Enjoy! (someone should sticky this)

To Answer ur first question yes i test all my parameters about very other day. Calcium has stayed where its suppose to be around 440, Alk leveles are fine my salt and mairine buffer i add do the job just fine. I was testing for Mg in the beginning when i was adding Mg to my tank but i have stopped adding it about 2 months ago and the tank is fine. My water changes and fresh salt keep mmy Mg levels around 950 which is low but havnt seen a difference when they where at 1400 . With regards to to what u said about going to home depot and getting Preston Driveway Heat, im a little worried never heard of anybody dosing there tanks like that. Ill have to look into it. What does everyone think about what he said? True??

I agree with one of the above posts....I think you may be dosing injudiciously. You should only be dosing your tank based on what your needs are, levels, age of the tank and content with regards to livestock. The decision to dose your tank should be based on what your:
1) calcium levels are
2) pH
3) alkalinity
4) stocking

A tank that is only 2 months old with one coral is fine with a calcium level 0f 380ppm, eg. As for magnesium levels, I would switch my marine salt before dosing my tank with magnesium. The majority of us would do fine with simple water changes. I don't think anybody needs to test a tank for magnesium unless their tank is filled with SPS, LPS, is well established, etc. We all get into this dosing thing and I think end up doing more harm than good. JMO. SH

PS....can you post your pH, Calcium and dKh? Have you tested your salt mix for Mg2+ since you already have the kit?

I've never heard of anyone using the prestone stuff to dose calcium, not to say it isn't true though. I'm going to look into this as well. ostrow you have any links or literature that backs up what you are saying (not trying to be a jerk, just want to read up on it :thumbs: )

I agree with one of the above posts....I think you may be dosing injudiciously. You should only be dosing your tank based on what your needs are, levels, age of the tank and content with regards to livestock. The decision to dose your tank should be based on what your:
1) calcium levels are
2) pH
3) alkalinity
4) stocking

A tank that is only 2 months old with one coral is fine with a calcium level 0f 380ppm, eg. As for magnesium levels, I would switch my marine salt before dosing my tank with magnesium. The majority of us would do fine with simple water changes. I don't think anybody needs to test a tank for magnesium unless their tank is filled with SPS, LPS, is well established, etc. We all get into this dosing thing and I think end up doing more harm than good. JMO. SH

PS....can you post your pH, Calcium and dKh? Have you tested your salt mix for Mg2+ since you already have the kit?

I dont know when i told u guys that i dose my tank every night or just for the fun of it, lol if i see my levels start slipping i add what i need to. After adding salt to a bucket of fresh water my Mg levels are around 900.
As for my readings my Calcium reads 430ppm, Ph 8.4, SG 1.0255 at 77.8F, Alk reads normal with my Red Sea test kit. I just took these 5 mins ago with the lights still on. As for my original ? of which Calcium i would switch to i think im swiching to C Balanc by Two Little Fishies Its a two part adative anybody ever used it?

Reef Crystals is reportedly higher in magnesium which is why I chose it. However, Tropic Marin gets very good user ratings. SH

Most reactions

Back