Buying Shrimp Opinions

saltynay

Patron
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
2,514
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Singapore
So I have found a seller on ebay wanting £15.95 for 10 cherry shrimp including shipping and a free java planet.
Good deal?
Anyone had bad experiences with "specimenshrimp" has 100% (71 actual amount as seller) positive ratings ?

I only really wanted 5 but if this guy is good I could get them and sell or trade the extras.
 
if you want cheap healthy shrimp pm drewry he does 40 for 30 pounds including postage he might be able to do you a deal
regards scot :)
 
Shrimp are great but if you are going to keep them with your fish then it is difficult as you cant put any meds in with them which means you have to take them out and catching them is a nighmare! They are also very messy and produce masses of poop which will mean more tank vacs! I dont think I would replace mine if anything happened to them.

Having said all that though I do love my 3 x ammano shrimp! :D
 
I have 5 Amano shrimp atm and the cherries are going to be tank mates with them plus 5 endlers, one betta, 3 assassin snails, 8+ pond snails and 6+ Malaysian trumpet snails. I want the cherries and the guppies to breed like crazy so that the other tankmates have food to hunt any that manage to run the gauntlet and make adulthood (or big enough to not get eaten in the tank) i will give away or put in the pond so that the goldies get in on the action.
 
I love shrimp in a tank and wish I had room for a shrimp only tank. I really like cherries but have never found then locally and shipping in the US is so expensive (you are lucky in the UK) that I don't order online. Over here, I can find th shrimp online for $1.50 or less but shippping is $30 or more so 20 shrimp would run $60. And then there's no telling how much loss there would be.

8+ pond snails and 6+ Malaysian trumpet snails.
How in the world can you count snails? I'm sure my tank has more like 100+ regular pest snails and with the way they breed, if you have 6 & 8 now, that could easily be 60 and 80 next week. After a major battle with MTS, I hope to never see another one of those little buggers.
 
Well the pond snails I started off with 1 hitch hiker 2 weeks ago and I quite like them so I left him to procreate. The way I can count is that they don't venture out onto the sand due to the assassins claiming that as their territory so I count all the ones on the glass which atm is 4, then 1 on the tank equipment, then look up and down each strand of anachris (my main plant) which currently holds a bounty 2 + an extra 25% that I probably missed and I have an approx number.


I don't currently have the MTS but will collect them sometime next week hopefully so will have a starter of 6 for sure. My LFS sells assassins 3 for £5 so once I have worked out the population growth rate of my snails over two weeks with one set of 3 assassins in there already. I can decide whether the population growth warrants another 3 assassins and then I will hopefully make an equilibrium between the species.

I have read that Assassins prefer pond snails although there is an element of individual character but due to the pond snails keeping to plants with leaves that cannot support the weight of the assassins, they will take the easier meal that a MTS is however MTS are harder for assassins to attack so this depends purely on the intelligence and poulation number of PS
 

Most reactions

Back
Top