Buying A Homemade Aquarium - Recipe For Disaster Or Great Find?

jvdb

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I visited a local second hand pet store today and picked up a cube shaped approx 25 gallon aquarium that was labelled "no water".  The workers stated that the aquarium HAD previously been used for water as stated by whoever sold it to them, and they had tested it for leaks and found none but also said that because it was a home made aquarium they could not guarantee it and would use it with caution for fish.  It is made of glass, is cube shaped, and sealed with silicone.

My question is, if it holds water without leaking, what are the changes of it bursting or one of the glass panels coming loose?  If I have a successful setup with no leaks at home is it possible that over time it may come apart even if it isn't moved?  I don't need 25 gallons of water on my hardwoods!

Is there anything I should do to protect myself against a potential disaster or in your own experiences have home made tanks been rather safe?  It is just glass sealed with silicone, should I but a reinforcing band around the top rim and bottom to ease pressure?  ALL advice and experiences welcome!

I would say impossible to give you good advice here. Home made tanks can be as good or better than all others, if the person who did it knows how to do it. I would check if the glass is strong enough, see what the silicone seam looks like and if u like all i would give it a try for some days somewhere in the cellar or bathroom, where the damage will not be too great if it leaks. If all is poitive I would use it in the living room, but obviously there is no warranty. And yes tanks can suddenly start to leak even though it never happend to me so far (fingers crossed
wink.png
)

hobby5 said:
I would say impossible to give you good advice here. Home made tanks can be as good or better than all others, if the person who did it knows how to do it. I would check if the glass is strong enough, see what the silicone seam looks like and if u like all i would give it a try for some days somewhere in the cellar or bathroom, where the damage will not be too great if it leaks. If all is poitive I would use it in the living room, but obviously there is no warranty. And yes tanks can suddenly start to leak even though it never happend to me so far (fingers crossed
wink.png
)
Thanks.  The glass is 5 mm and the silicone seams all look to be done well.  I just have nightmares of a glass panel completely coming off rather than a small leak, I'm sure that won't happens but of course we always assume the worst.  I'll give it a good few days test in the basement and if all is well do you think I should be (relatively) safe to use it upstairs?

I have a six foot 640 litre tank and I always have the worst case in the back of my mind wherein the front comes off and drops seven highly irritated Clown loaches in my lap, or more worryingly, a 20 kilogram slab of glass on the dog's head!

I personally wouldn't use it but then I wouldn't buy a second hand tank that had been made by a reputable manufacturer either as I couldn't know how the tank in general and the joints in particular had been treated by the previous owner.

I have second hand 25g corner tank it had been stood empty a while also. When we filled it there was a split on one seam. Hubby got the sealant (fish safe) fixed it and it will have been running a year fine!
I know this is not applicable to all but I would test it out and go with your gut! :)

Thanks guys.  It has now been sitting in the basement for almost two days and no leaks, appears solid!  Looks like now I am going to look into building a stand for it.

I have never heared of a complete glass panel coming of. Usually tanks start leaking slowly at some certain spot and there is plenty of time to rescue the fish. Fingers crossed for u :)

hobby5 said:
I have never heared of a complete glass panel coming of. Usually tanks start leaking slowly at some certain spot and there is plenty of time to rescue the fish. Fingers crossed for u
smile.png
Good to know! Our minds always jump to the worst case scenario.... complete distaster for fish and my house

Most reactions

Back