Burmese Goby

Fish Fanatic34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently my local aquarium got some Brachygobius xanthomelas they are really small at the moment and I think they would go good in a desk tank of course I will ask the shop how they keep them and what’s best but I also want you guys opinion on them.

Bottom dwelling brackish water fish that grows to about 1 inch long. Won't normally take dry food and refers live and frozen foods. Most don't live long and I can't help with info on their breeding habits. They do best in a single species tank where you can feed them well.

Bottom dwelling brackish water fish that grows to about 1 inch long. Won't normally take dry food and refers live and frozen foods. Most don't live long and I can't help with info on their breeding habits. They do best in a single species tank where you can feed them well.
What tank size would you recommend

minimum size tank is about 18 inches, but 2 ft is better if you can.

Ok thank you will update soon would a 20inch long, 10 inch wide and 13.5 inch tall be suitable.

Don't know. It depends on which species they are and what they were bed in (if captive bred).

See if the shop knows which supplier they came from (Aquarium Industries or Bay Fish are 2 big suppliers in Aust, or somewhere else), and see if they can contact the supplier to find out. If they won't do that, contact the supplier yourself and ask them.

AI (Aquarium Industries)

Bay Fish

Don't know. It depends on which species they are and what they were bed in (if captive bred).

See if the shop knows which supplier they came from (Aquarium Industries or Bay Fish are 2 big suppliers in Aust, or somewhere else), and see if they can contact the supplier to find out. If they won't do that, contact the supplier yourself and ask them.

AI (Aquarium Industries)

Bay Fish
I’ve talked with the store and the species is Brachygobius xanthomelas which is a type of bumblebee goby that does not live in any brackish water and where they come from is not connected to any ocean due to this I think I should be ok with keeping them in freshwater as they are the only “true freshwater bumblebee Hoby”

I had bumblebee gobies for years---I'm not sure what type--in a brackish setup with a little mangrove "tree" that stuck out over the top. It was just a 10-gal tank, one small pump. The brackish water was always very clear. I only fed live food: bloodworms and mosquito larvae (I'm in Hawaii, in a rainy area) and rarely, frozen mysis shrimp. They spawned after 8 years, and then one by one, died. None of the babies lived. Anyway, I don't think the pet shop knew exactly what they were (maybe hybrids) and had them in fresh water. I'd done some research but I can't remember exactly why I was convinced they should be brackish.

Most reactions

Back