Bumble Bee Snail riding another

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AJ-Master

Reaction score
I have 3 Bumble Bee snails. Since yesterday (almost 24 hr) 1 of them has been sitting on top of another. The other guy is moving around carrying the snail on the back.

Since this morning the 3rd snail, who was on the other side of the tank, as decided to stick around next to these guys.

As far as I know, they can't breed in Tropical fresh water or can they? So what the hell are they doing?

Please refrain from using language; many young ones (jedi) on this forum.
Anyway its somewhat rather normal, happens every now and then nothing to worry about but make sure to give an algae tab about once a week, or else... Fish fight 2 the death.
Yes they can breed in FW but the eggs wont hatch.

Please refrain from using language; many young ones (jedi) on this forum.
Anyway its somewhat rather normal, happens every now and then nothing to worry about but make sure to give an algae tab about once a week, or else... Fish fight 2 the death.
Yes they can breed in FW but the eggs wont hatch.
Apologies to young Jedi's.
Many thanks for insight.

Further to my last post, it seems I suddenly have a lot of (8-9) very tiny 1-2 mm moving snail like things sticking on the glass inside my aquarium.

This does not add up. i have not added anything to the aquarium for almost 2 months. I setup aquarium in February. I found a snail of 2-3 mm and immediately disposed it off.

In March, at least 4 weeks after the disposing of the snail. I added fish and bumble bee snails. I have ready bumble bee snail eggs do not hatch in fresh water.

So the question is, do the snail eggs survive this long? also where did they come from? I do not see any pest snail at all in my tank.

A photo would be necessary to answer definitively, but, of course, those are typically impossible to do well on itty bitty things like snail hatchlings. I'm assuming what you have is a species of Nerite. For the Nerite species common in the pet trade, successful reproduction in full freshwater is so extremely uncommon that I would first suspect you have some other species of snail that has appeared. More likely would be that the pest snail you found laid eggs before you found it, or that eggs rode in on something a while ago. Physid and Planorbid species often show up seemingly out of nowhere and sometimes after what would seem like an oddly large time gap from any known source, since adults lay eggs in sneaky places often and they can also come in as either an egg case on plants or just-hatched babies (which can be extremely tiny in some species and can even hide out on other snails).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back