Bulging poop in Guppy? Turning red.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Iā€™ve been having a rough week with my fish. And I honestly feel like Iā€™m one more lost fish away from having a mental break down. Casper, my Cory cat that had his eye eaten by a beta a couple months ago passed probably due to complications from the bite, I bought a few more fish to help increase the genetics in my guppy population and not one but two female guppies jumped out of the quarantine tank (a large orange bucket filled with water directly from my main tank with a filter strapped on and some plastic wrap as a lid with small holes for airflow) luckily I managed to save one and put her back in but the other died. And then TWO of the new Coryā€™s I bought and out in a proper quarantine tank died last night for unknown reasons. The other two Coryā€™s I bought are still fine as are the male guppies theyā€™re quarantining in. And one of my glo zebra tetras radiply lost ALL their weight and looks like a stick with a head. They still eat with a gusto and are active but they look one strong current away from dying.

And now one of my older female guppies that Iā€™ve had for a few months has a really weird poop. I thought maybe she had just eaten a slightly older fry and was just having a bit of difficulty passing it, but now there are splotches of red in the poop. Is it tearing her insides?

Iā€™ve had a few fish that have died from pooping out thick fuzzy white poop; looked like the ate dust or something and couldnā€™t get it through. Donā€™t have any pictures of them though. And this one in my lady looks different. More like a fry.

Attachments

• 73E03D22-5D59-40C9-BD3D-D85809B3F3EF.png
    73E03D22-5D59-40C9-BD3D-D85809B3F3EF.png
    460.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 9C5E6131-B123-4AF4-99D5-7A769E7AB118.png
    9C5E6131-B123-4AF4-99D5-7A769E7AB118.png
    569.5 KB · Views: 55
It looks like a prolapse to me. Could be caused by constipation. Fast them for a couple days and then feed a cooked, shelled pea crushed up

Keep the water extra clean to help prevent infection to the prolapse. Also deworming them may help

More pics! And ok! Iā€™ll try doing that! They were due for a water change anyway. Sheā€™s usually a super bright purple color.

Attachments

• 11634412-900E-442B-9E03-AD30D69E41F1.jpeg
    11634412-900E-442B-9E03-AD30D69E41F1.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 5D693F6F-DB43-461B-B9C8-FD30258BB0FF.jpeg
    5D693F6F-DB43-461B-B9C8-FD30258BB0FF.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 9E92D5D2-7185-45A1-95C8-859FB80CD88D.jpeg
    9E92D5D2-7185-45A1-95C8-859FB80CD88D.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 5B99499A-7398-468C-88C2-CD1C34D0FEEA.jpeg
    5B99499A-7398-468C-88C2-CD1C34D0FEEA.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 61
  • 3F0749FA-BF2E-4864-AAE3-232C7F78FB76.jpeg
    3F0749FA-BF2E-4864-AAE3-232C7F78FB76.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 76
  • 494B91D9-A814-4AA0-8393-72F58ED57211.jpeg
    494B91D9-A814-4AA0-8393-72F58ED57211.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 6BC66FA2-1AB4-40C3-8C10-78B8C9ECFB68.jpeg
    6BC66FA2-1AB4-40C3-8C10-78B8C9ECFB68.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 57
Being pale is from stress. Since she's a female guppy the prolapse could be also from trying to birth one of her fry. Poor baby

Thank you for responding. I hope she makes it, Iā€™ve had her for months and her name is Periwinkle. I will do my best to help her. Because Iā€™ve been having to leave a lot setting up feeders, they havenā€™t had their usual skip a meal day for a bit so I wonder if that had to do with it.

Oh god I think I just realized that the uptick in deaths due to the fuzzy thick poop started when I stopped skipping a feeding day every week. Because itā€™s happened in all 4 of my tanks. The white fuzzy poo followed by death. Oh my god. I used to skip a feeding day avoid such issues and I just. Iā€™ve been helping my sister renovate her new house for several weeks and Iā€™ve just been feeding them everyday Iā€™m home and setting up a feeder to feed once a day when Iā€™m away and now I feel horrible. I never gave them a break. I feel horrible for forgetting something so BASIC.

Do you have an automatic feeder? Those do tend to overfeed. However I don't think overfeeding would cause fuzzy poop, I'm not sure what would

Did your other fish have prolapse as well?

I really didnā€™t think of them as prolapse before you mentioned it but now I think it might be. Itā€™s happened to only a couple of my male guppies and Iā€™ve seen it most in my older fry who get fed multiple times a day.

I only use the automatic feeder when Iā€™m traveling. When Iā€™m home I feed them myself.

Iā€™m not sure how to describe it. Was was really really thick and white and the edges werenā€™t as well defined as Perriā€™s are. Hence why I used the term ā€˜fuzzyā€™. And it was coming out of their anal hole so hence the term ā€˜poopā€™

If I see another fish with something Iā€™ll try and grab a picture

The intestine is sticking out the fish's butt. This is becoming quite common and is mainly due to poor genetics. Sometimes it goes back in by itself, other times the fish dies with it still sticking out.

Make sure the fish have plenty of plant matter in their diet, do regular water changes and gravel cleans, and hope for the best.

The skinny danio might have worms. The guppies probably have intestinal worms and gill flukes too. You could try deworming the fish and see if it helps the danio. I would probably wait until the fish are out of quarantine and then deworm them all in the main display tank.

See section 3 of the following link for deworming fish.

-------------------
Don't add any new fish for at least one month after you lose a fish. This gives everyone time to recover from the incident and reduces the chance of more fish dying.

If a fish does die in the tank, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for one week after it died. Clean the filter too.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

7ADDBC71-AAFF-4BFA-85ED-0252AD17E9D1.jpeg

Hereā€™s the Danio, Lavender, if yā€™all wanna make a final conclusion.

What medications or process is best for deworming?

And whatā€™s the best method for preventing the prolapses? Skipping meal days once a week and then feeding them regular pees? I feed my fish tetramin tropical flakes and shrimp sinking pellets with a rare blood worm day a few times a month.

I havenā€™t gotten new fish in a hot second; thatā€™s why I wanted to increase the genetic variety. I already keep my males and females in different tanks so I can control who they reproduce with. I was trying to breed blue tailed male guppiesā€¦ so far with not as much success but I have a lot of blue tailed female fry coming along that are very lovely.

See section 3 of the following link for deworming fish
Which one would you suggest? I researched them and the one with the highest rating is kinda expensive. And the cheaper ones are cheaper on a disturbing scale

10E4DD6E-DECC-4867-9426-C928AA673F90.jpeg
43807AD4-0273-47DF-8F3C-41A7CB492400.jpeg
Sooooo I havenā€™t fed my females for a couple days, did a water change and gravel vacuum, and Perriā€™s prolapse vanished. I donā€™t know if it was ripped off by another fish or brushing against a decoration or if it got sucked back inā€¦ but itā€™s gone and sheā€™s swimming normally and her colors are bright. Wellā€¦ Iā€™ll have to check in the morning about the swim thing. Because of course one of my other ladies (dunno which but I think itā€™s the blue and orange tailed one who you can see in the back of the photo and sheā€™s HUGE) went into labor so the entire tank is a bit agitated. The prolapse was there before my water change today and disappeared afterwardsā€¦ so I really hope I didnā€™t accidentally rip it off when I was moving the decorations to get better access to the gravel. If it was ripped off im Sure she would be deadā€¦ so it either got sucked back in or was a fry she ate and had a hard time passingā€¦. Iā€™m not gonna let myself get too hopeful about her survival chances though because that looked horrendous.

Perri is the one with the very vibrant purple tail. And these are pictures I just took 10 minutes ago

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back