Building Your Own Tank

pixelpefekt

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Scotland - In the middle
I'm interested in building my own fish tank. I've seen a few examples online and it looks like a fun project. I've got a couple of questions though...


When ordering glass, does it have to be toughened glass? I'd only be making a tank about 48" x 18" x 12"

Has anyone made their own tank? What pit-falls are there? and do you know of a good 'how to' site?

Thanks.
 
Thanks. That's pretty handy. There is no mention of glass type so I'm guessing plain glass is fine?? :unsure:

Any one out there made their own?


This link looks helpful, they recommend 1/4" thick up to 55 gallons. You might look into 3/8" for yours

www.kokosgoldfish.com

I can't seem to post the second part of the link but it's /BuildAnAquarium.html
 
6mm is fine, but at that size it will be cheaper to get one off the shelf.

also you dont have the risk involved if it breaks.
 
6mm Plate glass, with braces will be fine.
Build on the base.
Spot tac it first the run your beads.
Youll need a couple of glass runners about 25mm down front and back.
Do you want a cutting list.
Regards
BigC
 
It's easy enough when you know how. Toughened is knock resistant, but has to be cut by a speciallist. Toughened also cannot be drilled as it shatters. Plate is what Big C recommends, and being a glass cutter whom builds all his own tanks, should know what he is talking about. If you might want to use it for marine later, plate will be a must, as you will likely want a sump, which usualy needs drilling if you want it neet :good:

6mm would be fine, but I'd go 8mm for your first, as there is a larger gluing area, thus more strength while you are practicing your gluing technique :good: To get a neat finish, apply masking tape to limit where the silicone can go ;) You want about 4mm on the inside seams realy, but more would be better.

Building your own if you aren't in the glass cutting trade has purely project value, unless it is an unusal size. Four of my "builds" have acctually be re-builds, when old structural silicone started to give way, and I just stripped the tank down to individual panes. Only my new marine tank will be a full new build. Got a shock when I got a quote for the glass though... Like double that of getting one built by a pro, but then the company my LFS deals with does 15ft on-site tank builds mostly, so my little 2fter would be nothing. Took 6 weeks for my 4 foot to arrive from them, so I dred to think how long the 2 ft would take, hence why I am building it myself :rolleyes:

Those 90 degree clamps are invaluable BTW ;)

If this is your first build, I'd take up Big C's offer of a cutting list. TBH though, being a fairly standord tank, you'd be best buying it pre-built off the shelf from a financial outlook.

HTH
Rabbut
 
Thanks. That's pretty handy. There is no mention of glass type so I'm guessing plain glass is fine?? :unsure:

Any one out there made their own?


I read you use regular plate glass 1/4" thick for upto 30 gallons, after that i dont know, but think it is supposed to be thicker.
 
volume is not an issue for thickness, the only thing to worry about is depth and length..

you could have a 500000000gal tank 2" deep made from 3mm greenhouse glass...... although you would need some joints LOL


up to 18-20" deep 6mm is fine. but needs bracing with 6mm braces near the top.


the width of the braces and cross ties depends on the tank width and length

unbraced tanks require significantly thicker glass, as a guide only 2-3 times as thick so for 18" or so deep you would need 15mm glass ( a guestimate, I don't have time to do the actual maths. as length is more significant in this case)... seriously expensive and difficult to obtain as it is a specialist product that wont be stocked by many glass suppliers (architectural glass)

toughened or tempered glass cannot be reworked, full stop. no drilling, grinding or cutting. the tempering process, while increasing the glass strength considerably, also introduces stresses within the glass. Any attempt to alter the glass releases this stress shattering the piece. This is why toughened glass does not crack like annealed glass.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top