Building my own aquarium -height/depth, the point of diminishing return?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

That sounds like an unhealthy aquarium and if itā€™s of a significant size the plywood will pop open and the two coat paint will degrade over time and could damage the fish. I wouldnā€™t vote for it to last more than a month. Youā€™re on the wrong track mate.
The key statement, use a " 2 part paint inside to waterproof", most likely this is a epoxy type paint ie: a chemical reaction to create a watertight seal.

So what - must be a pug ugly option.

A great use plywood tanks, massive in wall design shown below:

plywood tank.jpg

Nice trim work on that one...

I generally won't keep a tank that is more than 2 foot high x 2 foot wide, simply because it's too hard to reach into and clean. I am 6 foot tall and have longish monkey arms so if you are 5 foot with short arms, 2 foot is the maximum you want.
Opposite end of the spectrum here, 5'4 and pulled my arm out cleaning my 18" deep tank on Sunday. Literal bruises on my under arms from having them against the ridges of the tank for five hours. Not built for this.

Mine is 580mm high. Cabinet+tank means the top of the glass is 1650mm above FFL. Iā€™m still well over 6ā€™ but shrinking and reaching the bottom of the tank is a pain in the neck. Proper shirt off and towel needed every time.
Iā€™ll never buy a tank so deep or a cabinet so high again.

Marine ply I take it?
birchply, no voids, very good stuff, usually 13 ply in 18mm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back