Buenos Aires Tetra

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Dyl123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a 30 gallon tank with 5 BA tetras, I am ready to add more fish to it Iā€™m not sure what to add, is there any other slightly bigger fish I could add other than tertras, I am also upgrading to a 55 gallon towards the end of the year so is there anything I could add as a juvenile that will grow into the 55 gallon.

Tetras are shoaling fish so you should have at least 6 to 8, the more the better. I have several types of tetra in my tetra tank and have at least 10 in each shoal.

Tetras are shoaling fish so you should have at least 6 to 8, the more the better. I have several types of tetra in my tetra tank and have at least 10 in each shoal.
Iā€™ll add a few more to the tank, any other ideas for stocking apart from other tetras?

Could you tell us if you have hard water or soft, since you have tetras already I hope you have soft water also the GH and Ph levels of your water.

Could you tell us if you have hard water or soft, since you have tetras already I hope you have soft water also the GH and Ph levels of your water.
I do have soft water and the PH is at 7, not sure about the GH though but I get my water tested frequently

I have been into tetras lately and have not had other fish in with them except albino cory which get along just fine but are also shoaling fish. I currently have glow light, ember, neon and red eye tetra in a 55 gallon and looking to add more different types to a new 30 gallon tall sunken forest tank I am working on. I use to have all types of hard water fish years ago before I moved.

I have been into tetras lately and have not had other fish in with them except albino cory which get along just fine but are also shoaling fish. I currently have glow light, ember, neon and red eye tetra in a 55 gallon and looking to add more different types to a new 30 gallon tall sunken forest tank I am working on. I use to have all types of hard water fish years ago before I moved.
Have you ever kept the BA tetras before? If so what did you keep them with?

I have been looking at them and several others types. they are larger then most tetras I have kept. My biggest tetra so far are red eye tetra I heard barbs and gouramis go well with them.

I have been looking at them and several others types. they are larger then most tetras I have kept. My biggest tetra so far are red eye tetra I heard barbs and gouramis go well with them.
I did some reading which suggested gourami and tiger barbs are both good tank mates for the tetras but didnā€™t specify what type of gourami, any idea what would be best as well as the pairing of the gourami e.g- 1 Male gourami 2 female?

I have been researching into them a little but have not had any gourami to have any personal experience to give an opinion. I was thinking more of the tiger barbs since I liked their look but there are so many tetra out there to try I will probably end up choosing more of them :dunno: I am like an old kid in a candy store "so many fish to choose from and so little tank space.;)"

Last edited:
One of the main reasons Iā€™m upgrading for better tank space is so I can get a rainbow shark and I have read that they are compatible with the BA tetras and the tiger barbs aswell.

Tiger barbs are semi aggressive and buenos aires tetra are aggressive towards plants.
Generally tetras and tiger barbs dont mix as tiger barbs can be nippy. If you did mix them id suggest getting a big group of barbs and buenos aires as both are shoaling fish and in large groups 15-20 of each the aggression will be spread out and evenly distributed instead of one or two fish being bullied. If you can get more females of both than males.
Then watch them to make sure they arent shredding eachother.
I wouldnt add any other kind of tetras. Congos fins are too long and they are shy, serpaes while nippy fins are too long, skirys fins too long will get shredded, columbians too small all other tetras too small.

Tiger barbs are semi aggressive and buenos aires tetra are aggressive towards plants.
Generally tetras and tiger barbs dont mix as tiger barbs can be nippy. If you did mix them id suggest getting a big group of barbs and buenos aires as both are shoaling fish and in large groups 15-20 of each the aggression will be spread out and evenly distributed instead of one or two fish being bullied. If you can get more females of both than males.
I wouldnt add any other kind of tetras. Congos fins are too long and they are shy, serpaes while nippy fins are too long, skirys fins too long will get shredded, columbians too small all other tetras too small.
Ok thanks for the help

That sounds like it would be a good plan

Also how many of each would fit in a 30 gallon 3 ft long tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back