Buddies for ADF

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Coral platy said:
you can buy a small goldfish and sell it on when it is too big.
I was not refering to get a giant goldfish that is the size of a beach-whale.
Eeep! :blink:

Do you realize how cruel that is? All goldfish (even the cheapie feeder fish) have the potential to grow HUGE (they're carps, after all). 1 goldfish should be in 20 gallons, and 10 additonal gallons for each extra fish after that. Or even better, they do well in shallow ponds.

I've also read in several places (though I can't say if this is true or not) that goldfish grow to the size of they're tank because they're stunted by ammonia (they're really really messy fish) and that they're insides will keep growing even though their body stops -- do you know how painful that would be? *Shivers*

I don't mean to jump all over you ... I used to have goldfish as a kid and stuck them in teeny 1 gallon bowls. It's just that once you've done the reasearch, the overwhelming info says NOT to do that -- and I like to try and prevent people from making the same mistakes I did.

hey,
maybe you could put some white cloud minnows in there? from what i gather they are pretty low maintenance and do not need an airstone or extra filtration (as long as you keep the water clean and what not)

mandi said:
Coral platy said:
you can buy a small goldfish and sell it on when it is too big.
I was not refering to get a giant goldfish that is the size of a beach-whale.
Eeep! :blink:

Do you realize how cruel that is? All goldfish (even the cheapie feeder fish) have the potential to grow HUGE (they're carps, after all). 1 goldfish should be in 20 gallons, and 10 additonal gallons for each extra fish after that. Or even better, they do well in shallow ponds.

I've also read in several places (though I can't say if this is true or not) that goldfish grow to the size of they're tank because they're stunted by ammonia (they're really really messy fish) and that they're insides will keep growing even though their body stops -- do you know how painful that would be? *Shivers*

I don't mean to jump all over you ... I used to have goldfish as a kid and stuck them in teeny 1 gallon bowls. It's just that once you've done the reasearch, the overwhelming info says NOT to do that -- and I like to try and prevent people from making the same mistakes I did.
well i have learnt something.
I had them in a two footer. About 8 i did they 7 survived.
my fan tail got :
fungus
finrot
swimbladder loss.
cloudy eye :-(

And guess what i had in with them.

2ADF

james

Hi jkun17 :)

You could easily keep 3 or 4 ADFs in you 2 gallon tank. Or why not add a ramshorn snail for something a little different. They would all get along fine and you would have a low maintenance, easy to keep set up.

Another reason against keeping goldfish with frogs (either ADFs or ACFs) is that the goldfish are voracious eaters who eat off the bottom as well as the top. They tend to get all the food before the frogs have a chance to find it.

whatever i am not arguing i know what i did and i know that i shall do it again if i ever have goldfish again (that wont happen) But i did keep adf with goldfish.

James

Most reactions

Back