Bubbling Paint On Aquarium Ornament

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmtotheBurr

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Helloooo.
I purchased a painted tank ornament about two months ago. I've noticed over the last few weeks that the paint seems to be bubbling and it's getting worse.
Tank parameters are normal, no spikes. I haven't noticed it changing the water quality any.
Is it safe to keep this in the tank or should it be removed? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance.

Personally I would take it out.

Without knowing which country the ornament was made in, especially since different countries have different standards and  allowable levels of toxins in everything from clothes to food even kids toys, I would remove the ornament to be on the safe side.

Yeah.that will eventually flake if it's bubbling.if in doubt take it out.

I'm with everyone else, but especially gmc1. Even if it isn't harmful to the fish (and there's no way of knowing), it will eventually start to flake off, clog up your filter, and make your aquarium look horrible. 

Seeing that you are an artist, I am sure you can carve out a new bridge out of a bogwood or something... hehee..

All the best!

AquaPit said:
Seeing that you are an artist, I am sure you can carve out a new bridge out of a bogwood or something... hehee..
All the best!
I paint, I do not whittle. Lol

In all honesty, I find those plastic/ceramic tank decorations quite ugly, they are there for the human eye only, Want to make a fish happy? Recreate its natural environment.

NickAu said:
In all honesty, I find those plastic/ceramic tank decorations quite ugly, they are there for the human eye only, Want to make a fish happy? Recreate its natural environment.
Welllllll I liked the Japanese bridge and it went well with the theme. I'll have you know, they used to hold hands and walk across the little bridge all the time! How else could they get to the other side of the tank??? ;)

I'm now picturing two mandarin gobies holding hands and crossing the bridge...

laugh.png

Silly image in head of fish holding hand walking across the bridge just to get to the other side of the tank
rolleyes.gif

But seriously, I do concur with what the others say about the potential dangers of having this ornament that seems to disingrating, it may be harmless in the end but always better safe than sorry.

Maybe you can use a piece of bogwood that has a natural curve to be like a bridge perhaps?

Why did the fish cross the bridge?
To get to the other side of the tank! 
rofl.gif

Okay, I'm done.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back