Bt Broadband

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
good morning all
I have just spent 2hrs trying to get online. kept getting error721.
after a system restore, and uninstall/reinstall of my modem and a
call to bt broadband help desk (free call). I was asked to call their technical helpdesk
(a premium rate phone call). they after 10 mins told me that there is scheduled
engineering works in my area today. What the... that is the first I'd heard of it.

I told the nice lady that a simple curtisy email would've saved me 2hrs of stress
and frustration, not to mention an expensive phone call :grr:
What on earth do I pay my monthly charge for, surely scheduled maintainance
can be told to the customer before hand.

Well that is is with BT, I've had enough. I'm currently online with 1p per min dialup,
so I won't be around much today, but I would appreciate some suggestions on other
broadband providers, like wanadoo, virginnet, tiscalli etc.

I hope you are all doing better today than I.

rant over.

Well I was on Virgin and they were pretty good, I moved to Plusnet though because the package (when I moved) was much better, £4 per month cheaper and moved from 512 to 2m. But a few weeks after I moved, Virgin upgraded all their connections :X

So if I were looking to move, I'd suggest them (Virgin), infact I have recommended them to one of my best mates and he's with them (and gets a faster rate than me due to being nearer to the exchange than me :sly: )

But the thing with your issue with BT wouldn't be solved by moving, cos no isp (AFAIK) will let you know when BT are doing line repairs, so you're screwed either way.

Still, it'll be a nice quiet day to go into chat then ;) Every cloud :p :lol:

Arfie

We are with globalnet and they always update their support messages so you have a rough idea of whats going on.

all was done by 4pm, but still I'm very annoyed.
so much so that I have made an official complaint to BT.
lets just see what they have to say about it.

Thanks for your kind words Arfie :p
and thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

i've just signed up with telewest.
got it on friday.
everything seems fine so far!!!

Yeah thats kinda the problem with Broadband. Its hard to tell if its your PC, or the line or something up with the provider.

I used to have a lot of problems but it turned out to be my telephone extension was a bit dodgy so I got a new wall box for it and rewired it and its been fine since.

If the ADSL light goes out its generally a problem with them, not your PC. Either its not getting a good connection to the phone line or their service is down.

Arfie, couldn't you solve that problem by changing to a company like blueyonder? Then you don't need a BT phone line.

Hi,

One company i'd say definately avoid is demon. We pay a fortune for their business package and over the last few weeks we've had days when the internet is offline for 3+ hours at a time, good thing we don't just rely on the server at home, great service for people running internet business.

Emma :/

telewest broadband id the most reliable ive ever had/seen ive had mine in over 4 years now and only went off during a lighting storm

I'd like to ressurect this post as hubby has decided we are paying too much for globalnet. I think its around £25 for half a meg unlimited.
We are moving and can get up to 6 meg so we are looking for unlimited for less than £25 if possible but want something thats reliable.
Arfie suggests Virgin and smurfy telewest.
Is talk talk a good deal and anyone tried it?
Any others to consider, or avoid at all costs?

telewest i phisicly love its £15 a month and its 2 meg and every year or so it goes up half a meg the package i got came with free tv aswel but that offer expired i would go telewest as i dont know anyone with talk talk or virgin

I'm with telewest and whenever there is maintenance being done in our area (About once every three months) the free phone number you call tells you straight away which saves all the hassles and expensive phone calls.

Seems telewest is the one to try for, will have to check it covers my area.
:good:

Most reactions

Back