Brp Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FlyingSquid

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I added a BRP to my 25 and when it get's larger I'll move it to the 55 gal. I have never kept one of these fish so I would appreciate any help. I understand the physical problems due to them being hybrids. But my Parrot is so shy. It hides all the time, is there any technique to get it to come out? The Parrot also didn't eat until the 5th day, and has happily eaten since. And what is the black discoloration? I didn't see this until after purchase, it was so minor, but now it's darkened a little, it's not a lot but still. Please help, new to hybrids but not to cichlids. And sexing? I don't know the sex.

hi there, ive got a parrot of my own, as far as i can tell its a male but they can be hard to sex. ive read about the usual rules of males having more pointed fins and females being more rounded fins, also if you can see their 'bits and pieces' poking out, the males are thinner and pointier than what the females look like. have a look at this http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/293496-parrot-fish-sexing/
as far as hiding and not eating, i would say its because its in a new environment, as its now eating he/she is probably feeling more at ease now and i should think the shyness will go away in time, mine was a little shy at first but is now the king of the tank lol
as for the discoloration, mine has a black mark on his forehead, is this what you were talking about? if it was dull before it could have been due to stress and now showing more as he/she becomes less stressed out.
hope ive helped, if anyone thinks ive got anything wrong or has any different opinions please let me know or correct me
smile.png

Here's my parrot, his name is Papagaio which is Portuguese for parrot lol

Attachments

• papagaio.jpg
    papagaio.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 230
Actually all the black has disappeared and he or she is looking much healthier. Eats regularly and is less shy but still hides whenever I come to the tank. Was your Parrot really shy and timid when you got him?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back