Browning Leaves on Floating Flants

powerdyne6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This is an older picture (taken Aug. 13th) but it represents my tank and what floating plants I have in my Aquarium.

I am noticing on some of the floaters a browning of the edges of the leaves.

I know I have Frogbit and a couple other Floaters. It is not happening to the Frogbit.

Please help identify which other Floaters I have and possibly why some of the edges of the leaves are browning.

Thanks

IMG_8445.png

@Byron

Sorry forgot to mention

I dose the tank with 10ml of Flourish Comprehensive Supplement once a week on Sundays during my water changes.

I also have a Fluval Plant 3.0 led light that is on for 6 to 7 hours a day at about 60% to 70% intensity. I am running no Co2.

Usually around the middle of the week the plants bunch up and stop moving around the tank and just constantly sit under the light. On Sundays I throw out a whole bunch of plants to free up some space and they start to move around again with the current. Not sure if the plants sitting directly under the light for long periods is causing this.

Thanks

Absolutely nothing to worry about. The large plant floating in the open rectangle is Pistia stratiotes, or Water Lettuce. Some data below from my profile if interested. The smaller floater is Salvinia, not sure of the species but probably S. molesta [data on this below too]. My plants looked much the same for years. Interesting thing about our water now (we have the same municipal water) is that my plants took a decidedly down turn when they increased the soda ash to increase the pH to 8-something. They remained alive, but never with the same shine.

Salvinia

Salvinia is a small floating fern, the sole genus in the Salviniaceae family. It consists of three leaves, two floating and one modified leaf submerged that may be mistaken for a root; the stem is branching and creeping, bearing hairs but no true roots.

This plant likes bright light; in its habitat it occurs in full sun. It also requires good nutrition from the water, and there should be good air circulation. The two surface leaves, which are larger than those of Duckweed, are green or sage green in colour, with a beautiful silvery sheen; these leaves will turn brown and melt if conditions are not satisfactory.

Salvinia auriculata is the species often associated with the aquarium plant, but several authors believe this is inaccurate. Kasselmann (2003) suggests that S. molesta is the species most often found in aquaria, and according to Mitchell (1972) is likely a natural hybrid of S. auriculata and S. biloba. S. molesta was described in 1972 by D.S. Mitchell; the species epithet is Latin for damaging or bothersome.

Pistia stratiotes

Variable. In good conditions, this plant will grow large, up to 50cm / 20 inches across, though usually smaller. Growth depends upon conditions. The so-called "Dwarf" Water Lettuce is not a distinct species but simply due to less-than-ideal conditions of light and nutrients. A magnificent floating plant that is best suited to an outdoor pond or large aquarium. The "dwarf" form, which is not a separate variety, subspecies or distinct species, is believed by most sources to be due to less than ideal conditions; observations have noted that the "dwarf" plants develop into normal large plants when conditions improve.

The species was described by Carl Linnaeus (1707-1778), the Swedish scientist who developed the consistent use of binomial names for both plants and animals that we use today to classify all life, and who himself validly published over 9,000 plant names. Linnaeus erected the genus Pistia, the name derived from the Greek pistos, meaning watery, which contains just this single species. The species epithet stratiotes is Latin and means reminiscent of the Stratiotes genus of submerged aquatic plants.

Last edited:
Sorry hard to make out in your post.
You mentioned Water Lettuce. Which other species do you see?

Also just to clarify this is not a current picture.
I will take another pic tonight and post it showing the browning edges

Sorry hard to make out in your post but what species of plants do I have here?

Also just to clarify this is not a current picture.

From previous post: "The large plant floating in the open rectangle is Pistia stratiotes, or Water Lettuce." And "The smaller floater is Salvinia, not sure of the species but probably S. molesta."

From previous post: "The large plant floating in the open rectangle is Pistia stratiotes, or Water Lettuce." And "The smaller floater is Salvinia, not sure of the species but probably S. molesta."

Ahh okay I see now. Okay that narrows it down. The browning edges are on the Salvania.

I will get another picture and post it here a little later this evening.

Was able to get a picture. The leaves that are turning brown are under the water line. No leaves above the water line are affected.

Let me know what plant this is as well

IMG_8463.jpeg
IMG_8464.jpeg

@Byron

These latest photos look like a different plant from the former. Did you order just the Salvinia and Water Lettuce, or another plant?

These latest photos look like a different plant from the former. Did you order just the Salvinia and Water Lettuce, or another plant?

Since I added the first plants to the tank I haven’t added anything else.

The 3 plants I know are in there

Water Lettuce
Frogbit
Salvania

And I know there is Duckweed as well

That is Frogbit in the latest two photos. I previously thought there were only the two plants, Salvinia (which you thought might be duckweed) and Water Lettuce. But this latest is Frogbit, and now I know it is there, I can see some in the distance of the first photos. No duckweed that I can see.

My Frogbit was on and off, nothing to worry about here. It is possible this is not the tropical species, but never mind.

That is Frogbit in the latest two photos. I previously thought there were only the two plants, Salvinia (which you thought might be duckweed) and Water Lettuce. But this latest is Frogbit, and now I know it is there, I can see some in the distance of the first photos. No duckweed that I can see.

My Frogbit was on and off, nothing to worry about here. It is possible this is not the tropical species, but never mind.

Okay so… you said those were frogbit from my latest picture…

I thought the frogbit looked different.

I have some floaters that almost look like small lily pads which I thought was the frogbit. The leaves are more round. This is another plant I have in my tank.

IMG_8466.png

Yes, these photos in post #11 are Frogbit. I will track down some photos of the other species when I return later.

As near as I can tell through the cover, these are the plants you have -

photo.jpg

As near as I can tell through the cover, these are the plants you have -

View attachment 328374

Yes so those are the 3. I thought I may have some duckweed in there as all these plants were bought through marketplace.

Okay so the plant that is having the browning edges is indeed the Salvinia. It won’t harm anything having a second opinion as to why?

I dose 10ml of flourish comprehensive once a week. I have a Fluval Plant 3.0 light that is on for 6 to 7 hours a day and that includes the slow turn on and turn off time. I have the light at roughly 60 to 65% intensity at its highest point.

Your comment that leaves under the water line are turning brown is likely the issue. New leaf growth is evident, so I wouldn't worry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back